• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Rescued Pig - Birt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenwah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

Didn't expect to be in this forum area for a long while since my last piggy Agnes who sadly passed away last year.

I have mentioned in a previous post, that I recently went to Pets at Home and went over to the adoption centre, seen a really sad looking guinea pig, his name was Toby - I've now renamed him to Birt and the little note next to his cage said "My name is Toby, I am a guinea pig, I need special care", we went over and asked what is the special care they have written down on the note? They said oh it's not care, it's just he is a "frisky and humps every thing".

I also mentioned in a different post, that when I went into pets at home to buy the pigs some christmas things a few months ago , I had seen a bigger guinea pig in the pens and one of them was jumping on the others and trying to hump them, and I thought he was far too big to be with the smaller piggies - THIS WAS BIRT lol!

Anyway, the guy told us, he was the last one in his litter (i think thats the right word?) and he had to be moved to the adoption centre as he was too big then to be with any other pigs and like he mentioned would "hump them". I think a member on here has recently explained, that this isn't humping, its them displaying their hierarchy to the piggies. So he was well trained, a character and loved to be handled as theyve moved him around so much he's just so used to it! I explained I had two girl pigs - he didnt mention anything about not putting them together because they would have piggy canoodles, they just assumed I wouldnt put them together, when I mentioned Agnes had died and she was only 2 years, he asked where did I get them from, I said here and he went "oh"!

I said I wanted to adopt him as his little face was just melting my heart and I couldnt leave him looking so sad - I would have adopted them all if I could, but my Mum has to draw a line somewhere. After, roughly 5 minutes of chatting to this guy, that was it, signed some papers which was a contract, to say they would pay all the vet bills as long as I give this animal a good home.

What makes me laugh, is my boyfriend went to buy some neon fish from the fish part of pets at home - they came to him, with questions such as "how big is the tank?", "how many fish are in there already"? , "what other fish do you have in there?", "do you know about fish and looking after them?" - when he had mentioned he already had some neons in the store, the girl refused to let him buy anymore! We were absolutely baffled.
And thing is... they go through so much rigramole to look after their fish, but they let a guinea pig go to me - without knowing anything about me, my set up, my knowledge etc etc I think it's a disgrace.

Not only that, I had Birt out today. He's still very quiet. I understand this may take a while as he is only young and he's been moved around so much. But, to me. I just dont think he's what a piglet his age should be like? I let him lie on me, and i was stroking his back, I had my other hand resting on his bum so he felt secured and I was rubbing the bottom of the back, when I felt hard bits. I turned him around and parted his fur, and there's not only 1 - but 4 parts where I've found scabs. His skin is very dry around these scabs, and I noticed his sweat gland is dirty. When I put him back in - my top literally stinks. He hasnt weed on me but it smells like poo. My Dad had let him run around when he got in too and when I walked in, I thought there was dog muck on my shoe - he smelt so much.

I've made an appointment with the vet, and I fully intend to take this further to Pets at home. No wonder the poor little guy is looking so sad, he's full of scabs. I dont know as well, but I dont think his poo is normal - they are very dry. I've only ever had girl pigs, so dont know if this is different for boys.

Sorry for a big essay, wanted to give as much info as poss

Thanks guys

Poor boy, hopefully the vet will be able to tell you if they are scabs from being nipped by another pig or if you are dealing with a skin condition. You could always clean his grease gland with some Swarfega in the meantime. If you bath him you will need to leave at least 48 hours after any mite treatment.

Oh poor Birt! He has not had the best start in life. I hope he soon feels better. Are you sure that P@H will pay all vet bills for him? I have never heard that before, check your contract, it might just be for the first week or two.

I would have him properly checked over by a vet too see whether it is bites, mites or something else and get the appropriate treatment. Please be aware that any topical treatment needs at least 48 hours to be fully absorbed before you can bathe.
We have got a piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar.

You may also find these threads here helpful:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

Ahh knew I could rely on my guinea pig forum family haha! Thanks for the replies so far, always grateful for your help.

Poor boy, hopefully the vet will be able to tell you if they are scabs from being nipped by another pig or if you are dealing with a skin condition. You could always clean his grease gland with some Swarfega in the meantime. If you bath him you will need to leave at least 48 hours after any mite treatment.
I hope it's nothing along the lines of mites, or another skin condition. It sounds mean, but I hope it'll be nips from other guineas when he was in the cage, they are healing but it's just the amount of them.

Oh poor Birt! He has not had the best start in life. I hope he soon feels better. Are you sure that P@H will pay all vet bills for him? I have never heard that before, check your contract, it might just be for the first week or two.
I know :( it's a shame. I'm glad I've rescued him. Just wish they looked at him thoroughly before giving him away. I dont think they look after their animals at all. Oh god, don't say that Goth Mummy, I'm positive they said they will pay all vet bills. But just for ease - I've sent them an email, asking if it's true, then at least I'll have it in writing. I am sure the contract says it. If not - I will pay for this guinea pig to get the proper treatment he deserves, I wont give up on him!

I would have him properly checked over by a vet too see whether it is bites, mites or something else and get the appropriate treatment. Please be aware that any topical treatment needs at least 48 hours to be fully absorbed before you can bathe.
We have got a piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar.

You may also find these threads here helpful:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/
Thanks for the advice Wiebke! I went to a really nice vet using the vet locator too with Agnes, John his name was, really nice caring man. Thanks for the links too - interesting read!

Thanks all - I'll keep you posted on little Birt's progress.

All the best! Birt is a very lucky boy to have found such a caring home!

I know you will do the best for him. I only mention the vet bills thing because a friend of mine had a rabbit from the adoption centre and she had two weeks cover (thankfully as he had health issues)

Hope all goes well for Birt, you are so caring its a shame they wernt in that shop x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back