• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doragon

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys;

So my mother bought me a new run from the Internet (we were using the top of an indoor cage for a temporary run as the one we had was very dangerous to get the guinea pigs in and out in) and...I have concerns.

The run itself was from eBay; and mum thinks she knows best regarding the guinea pigs but..okay the run is alright; its triangle shaped with an inside area and an outside area, two doors to get the guineas in and out.

My problem is I'm finding it really difficult to get the pigs back out; particularly the babies as they're still so skittish! I nearly lost one last night as it escaped past my hand to the open door, I literally had to flatten poor Bramble (I was holding on to Holly, the other baby at the time) to stop her running and loosing her completely!

I'd feel rude not using the run and Mum's already put the one I was using away in the loft anyway; I was wondering if you guys had any tips? I get nervous getting them out because they could escape!

I don't think Bramble has forgiven me yet either. Got the evils earlier.

image.jpg

Use a cavy cosy or a tube to herd the piggies into perhaps?

Check this video out

They're very clever and I don't have a tube! I do have a igloo I can use, it doesn't have a bottom but I can usually get them to climb inside and lift them out. Or buy a different igloo which has a bottom to lift them out!

:DPerhaps you could make a small cardboard box into a little shelter for them? Make one of the flaps into a door, chase the piggies into the box at bed-time and use the flap to shut them in. Then just lift up the box with the piggies inside! Job done! :tu:

I agree with the box idea. You can also use a towel to pick them up in, and perhaps if you can make yourself a 'pen ' to sit around the door when you open it, then if they leep out thyey'll be blocked from running off down the garden.
It can be the simplist of things for this purpose - a large cardboard box cut into strips, making the sides of the pen, and these held together by cellotape (though duck tape would be better). It couldn't work as a proper pen of course, but it could be something to put round yourself and up to the run as you open the door so if they leap out they'll be stopped by the cardboard walls :)

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! X3 they seem to like the run so didn't wanna change it x3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4
Hope it works. I ended up doing a similar thing when I first pig-sat for a friend's piggies. Their's was a triangular run too, but unlike yours it had NO opening - to get the pigs in and out I had to lift the run up! I already had a correx version of the type of pen I suggested, and this could be used to house them for long periods (it used to be the indoor play pen and I housed the lodgers in there for a week). It worked ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back