• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New setup

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! :)
I am going to be changing my guinea pigs set up in a couple of weeks and need some help answering some questions about litter box bedding:
1. I saw that the wood pellets from Small Pets Select were highly recommended for reducing mess. Right now, I use paper bedding in my litter boxes so that my piggies will be comfortable in case they wish to fall asleep inside. Will the wood pellets be rough on their feet?
2. Will the piggies try to eat the wood pellets? They appear to be close in size and color to their pellet food, which concerns me.
Any help is much appreciated!

Hi! :)
I am going to be changing my guinea pigs set up in a couple of weeks and need some help answering some questions about litter box bedding:
1. I saw that the wood pellets from Small Pets Select were highly recommended for reducing mess. Right now, I use paper bedding in my litter boxes so that my piggies will be comfortable in case they wish to fall asleep inside. Will the wood pellets be rough on their feet?
2. Will the piggies try to eat the wood pellets? They appear to be close in size and color to their pellet food, which concerns me.
Any help is much appreciated!
Oops! :)
I forgot to add that the Small Pet Select Pellets are pine. :)

Sorry for writing on my own thread again!
I was looking into the wood pellets, and they are a lot less expensive on Amazon as opposed to ordering directly from the company. I find that it is usually the other way around. What do you think?
Thank you! :)

Hi!
I haven’t used the small pet select wood pellets but I have used wood shavings as bedding in my cage previously and my pigs never seemed to mind laying and sleeping in the wood shavings.

I've heard pine is poisonous, unless it's kiln-dried. I use fleece, and so far have had no problems with it. You can use aspen chips, or paper, but I wouldn't recommend Pine. :D

I've heard pine is poisonous, unless it's kiln-dried. I use fleece, and so far have had no problems with it. You can use aspen chips, or paper, but I wouldn't recommend Pine. :D
Sorry! I didn't mean to cause concern! They are 100% kiln-dried.
I use fleece, too! My piggies have free-roam of my room! :)
I am just trying to find a better alternative to paper shavings in their litter box, as it is not very absorbent.
I was thinking of using the wood pellets and then putting a thin layer of paper shavings on top.

H
Sorry! I didn't mean to cause concern! They are 100% kiln-dried.
I use fleece, too! My piggies have free-roam of my room! :)
I am just trying to find a better alternative to paper shavings in their litter box, as it is not very absorbent.
I was thinking of using the wood pellets and then putting a thin layer of paper shavings on top.

how about recycled paper cat litter pellets? :)

H

how about recycled paper cat litter pellets? :)
I found one that is "unscented with baking soda".
Would that be alright?
Changing the type of bedding in their litter box is not a necessity, I just want to make sure that they are as comfortable as possible.
Have you had any luck with these pellets?

Would that be alright?

I'm sure I've read somewhere the baking soda is to be avoided with piggies. Something about it swelling in their tummies if they injest it or it being a lung irritant? Can't remember which but I would avoid it anyway.

Would that be alright?
Changing the type of bedding in their litter box is not a necessity, I just want to make sure that they are as comfortable as possible.
Have you had any luck with these pellets?
I used to use it as bedding when I had a smaller cage, It is quite absorbent. But mine didn’t contain baking soda they were 100%paper pellets.
(I don’t use litter trays for toilets, my litter trays are filled with hay which they can eat, sleep, play and toilet in!).

I used to use it as bedding when I had a smaller cage, It is quite absorbent. But mine didn’t contain baking soda they were 100%paper pellets.
(I don’t use litter trays for toilets, my litter trays are filled with hay which they can eat, sleep, play and toilet in!).
I love using only hay in their litter boxes, but with Stubbins' diarrhea, I find myself throwing out a LOT of hay. :(

I use a couple of sheets of newspaper, then a layer of wood pellet cat litter, then a fleece sheet at the top layer. I feel that make a good absorbent base plus helps with comfort :-)

I use a couple of sheets of newspaper, then a layer of wood pellet cat litter, then a fleece sheet at the top layer. I feel that make a good absorbent base plus helps with comfort :-)
Does that work for a litter box?
Do you mean for your whole enclosure in general?

Does that work for a litter box?
Do you mean for your whole enclosure in general?
Just for litter boxes. I've towels plus fleece for the enclosure, then the newspaper,litter pellets and fleece on top in the litter boxes, with hay rack above them. Hay is pulled out and then usually lay on by them, and the fleece and litter doesn't seem to need a change for about 5 days or sometimes longer if I remove the used hay each day. I actually find that my two tend to soil other areas more than their litter/hay areas, as some other areas like hidies are darker - which mine prefer to poop in.

Hi I use home bargains wood based cat litter its £3.49 for a 5kg bag.its in a white and orange bag.
Works great and stops odour.
My piggies don't try to eat it but I don't think it would do them any harm if they did,its just wood lol,but every pig is different and you don't know if they will eat it until you try it.
I doubt they will though🙂

Back