• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New To Fleece- Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarandbubble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got my new fleece, enough for 3 liners, and each is big enough to cover the coro sides too- yay! I put it in the wash, but the settings on my laundry for temperature on the normal setting are only cold, warm/cold, and hot/cold. I used hot/cold, but I was wondering if that was right? Also, it has options for bedding or heavy duty (along with eight others), should I use either of those? How long do I need to dry it for and on what temp? I want to get it in the cage tonight because my boar has an abscess and I don't want him on bedding any longer than he has to be.

your washing machine sounds very complicated. I suspect the hot setting was the best choice. do you have the manual anywhere to check what temperature this is?

How's your boar? Has he had the abscess drained?

I've no clue as to where the manual is. It was an abscess and a benign tumor combined, both were drained/removed (quite gross!) I got medicine for it and the vet recommended extreme cleanliness. I was going to make the bedding switch later on but I figured, why not today, as fleece I feel stays cleaner and will be much healthier.
Back to fleece, though. Mine dried very quickly after the first wash with five minutes in the drier, so I put it in a setting that has a faster wash but leaves more water in. Is this ok or should I do a wash 15 minutes longer that does an extra spin cycle? I did a smaller amount of detergent this time, next wash I'm using none at all. Is this correct? Also, my pigs lovepottying in the igloo. I was thinking of using some care fresh in the area for easier daily pickup, as a sort of litterbox. Should I cut the fleece so that it doesn't line that section or leave it? I'm planning on using the cage as a double later on, plus I may reconfigure it so I'm thinking I should just add care fresh over fleece and keep it out of the rest of the cage with coro. Sound ok?

Here's the cage in progression from beginning to end...
1. Beforeimage.jpg
2. With Nature's Miracle anti-odor spray and a layer of paper towels in.image.jpg
3. With towels.image.jpg
4. With fleece!
image.jpg
5. All done!
image.jpg
I'm not sure why they are all sideways, sorry!

I would use a hot wash when you do your regular clean.

I remember when Max had his abscess, the vet recommended ultra cleanliness. I had to keep him separated from my 2 sows and irrigate the wound twice daily.

The vet also advised to ensure there were no small bits of hay on the ground as you don't want bits of hay to get in the wound.

Agreed. Fleece is always best washed at 60degree wash for hygiene. That's why its always good to buy bigger incase shrinkage.

Luckily I have plenty of excess- I'll wash it every other day then. It's so easy to wash I don't see why not! I bought enough so that I could have 6 inch sides on a 4 by 4 cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back