• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New To Guinea Pigs And Concerned My 4 Year Old Has Allergies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock_hen

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Less than A week in to having our babies at home and now another problem,my 4 year old is really stuffy, her nose is streaming and her eyes full of gunk. I thought she may just have a cold but my husband said she may be allergic...arghhhh... So I reckon she is either allergic to hay, megazorb or the most concerning the guinea pigs themselves !
So we got the pigs Saturday and for the first few days then were just on fleece and my daughter was fine. Tuesday we put megazorb down and weds my daughter woke up with gunky eyes and today she is worse. So I'm thinking first I should clean out the pigs and go back to fleece and see?
As for hay we have been putting it in the piggies house and a pile on the floor, would the piggies still eat hay if I only put in in then hsy rack? I'm concerned because I have read that hay is a massively important part of their diet...we currently have just a generic meadow hay from zooplus is there a better hay which is perhaps better for allergy sufferers?
Been reading about ecobed being better for allergies but don't want to splash out on more bedding just yet as I have a massive bag of megazorb!
These piggies are a very much loved present for my 13 year old and they are currently in the bedroom both my daughters share so I suppose worse case scenario I would have to move the cage, my 13 year old won't be happy though and the piggies wouldnt get the same amount of interaction if they are moved :(

Hi there and sorry that you are having problems with your little daughter and possible allergies. My 3 1/2 year old has been running a cold most days with different symptoms for the last 2 weeks so perhaps don't panic just yet, theres a lot going around!
Initially I would move the piggies, can you put them downstairs. Then see if her symptoms improve. Otherwise you will have to do it by changing one thing at a time and it is trial and error. I understand that you will not want her to have to take daily anti allergy tablets at her age!
Usually people are allergic to the bedding, rather than the guinea pigs themselves, so do not panic just yet. I would always use a dust extracted hay for guinea pigs though, as they have very delicate respiratory tracts.

I have had several panics over the years over my children wondering if they have allergies (and thanks to my mother in law who is obsessed with the idea that the animals could be causing the kid's coughs etc) but it is in our families case just the many bugs that go around ;)

I would try putting them back on fleece and towels. When I first had Guinea pigs over 2 yrs ago. Every time I picked up or went near the pigs it set off my asthma and my eyes nose started itching. The pigs were on wood shaving at the time. I changed their bedding to fitch and I haven't had a problem for 2 yrs. I know some people have problems with megazorb because it is so dusty.

Sorry forget to say that after I changed pigs bedding it did take a few days for my symptoms to totally go. I think this was because of the dust that was still on their hair

Another thing to remember is to be vigilant about spot cleaning - ammonia from urine can make eyes water etc.

Is it possible she is allergic to The hay? Assuming you are using Timothy hay there are alternatives such as orchid grass which is perfect for people with allergys:) I find that I am allergic to certain brands of hay and am currently using pets at home Timothy hay which is not causing me any problems. Also it may be a good idea to switch to fleece as bedding contains a lot of dust which can cause allergys in people and also some guinea pigs. Good luck!

Hi, I have been using a meadow hay, my ings hay has arrived today and so I'm hoping that will be better. She has been awful despite me getting rid of the megazorb. Yesterday it was so bad I took out all hay and hoovered everywhere, her eyes were streaming. Fingers crossed the Ings does the trick, gutted about the megazorb as I found it amazing stuff! I'm hoping I will be able to try it again if the Ings hay works. I really really hope it's not the guinea pigs she is allergic to!

Bless them I just put in a bowl full of veg and some of the Ings hay in their house and they ignored the veg and went straight into the house to eat the hay. A day witho y t hay must have been too much for them :-( Love our little piggies so much but it's really upsetting seeing my daughter so full of snot and gunk. I really hope I can work this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back