New (very small) piggies

Minipiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We welcomed two lovely piggies into our home on Saturday. They’re girls, Fluffy and Fuzzy (my kids chose their names!) and they’re super sweet. I feel awful though as, despite doing lots of research, I’m not convinced we got them from a reputable breeder :( I weighed them on Monday, and they were ever so small, just 250g and 267g. They’re apparently 10 weeks old! I doubled checked this with the breeder, and she assured me it was correct. I’ve been weighing them daily, and they’re gaining weight (now 262g and 278g). They’re eating lots of hay (unlimited), drinking, and having a few veggies carefully introduced to their diet. They seem happy and have been popcorning round their cage today. Their eyes are bright and their coats are glossy. I’ve booked them in for a vet check on Friday just to make sure everything is ok!

Hath

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They're cute. I would not trust any breeder, after all, they're breeding to make money, not out of love for animals. I would say just weigh them every day and keep list of what they weigh to ensure they're growing and see what the vet said. Ensure it's cavi savy vet.

My adult boys ranged from almost 1,5kg to 670g. They do come in different sizes and wouldn't surprise me if they are purposely bred to look small and cute...
Fingers crossed x

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:wel: Your girls are GORGEOUS! Another thing I would do is to double check their sex. Unfortunately breeders and pet shops have a habit of missexing piggies. I would also have let them settle in till Saturday with no handling, just cleaning out and feeding. But you’re doing it already.

Hopefully they will get to their individual ideal weight with a good diet etc. Make sure you keep pellets to a tablespoon a day. Otherwise feel free (we actively encourage this) to start a thread for the where you can post photos and updates, and explore the fun parts of the forum as well.

@Betsy need I say more? 🤭

Minipiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! We’ve been keeping handling to the bare minimum, but I didn’t just want to plonk them straight into the bowl on the scales to weigh them, so they got a little cuddle first. Fuzzy had a little wash on my lap which was super cute :) (I’ve been piggie washing myself when I’m chatting to them. My husband thinks I’m nuts 😁)

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Adorable little piggies x
When I got my two baby boars Bill and Ted at 4 weeks old they were around 216 and 225 gms, so they may just be quite small. Diamonds are more precious than bricks, as long as their weight is going up gradually then don’t worry :D Enjoy them x

DougalandDiego

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:wel: What gorgeous little girls! I’m not much help about the weight questions as I’ve only ever had two pigs so have nothing to compare them to and they’re hefty boys :)) but like everyone else has said as long as they’re gaining weight and seem happy enough that’s the main thing!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
We welcomed two lovely piggies into our home on Saturday. They’re girls, Fluffy and Fuzzy (my kids chose their names!) and they’re super sweet. I feel awful though as, despite doing lots of research, I’m not convinced we got them from a reputable breeder :( I weighed them on Monday, and they were ever so small, just 250g and 267g. They’re apparently 10 weeks old! I doubled checked this with the breeder, and she assured me it was correct. I’ve been weighing them daily, and they’re gaining weight (now 262g and 278g). They’re eating lots of hay (unlimited), drinking, and having a few veggies carefully introduced to their diet. They seem happy and have been popcorning round their cage today. Their eyes are bright and their coats are glossy. I’ve booked them in for a vet check on Friday just to make sure everything is ok!
Hi!

They must have had very low birth weights when they are still just about the weight of the average well cared for three week old! :(

However, as long as they are eating well and putting on weight, they will eventually realise their genetically determined ideal adult weight - there is still over a year to go. Always opt for quality of feeding over quantity. A good normal hay based diet is what promotes health and can add 1-2 years to take your piggies to the upper rather than the lower end of a normal life span if they are otherwise healthy.
They are likely to remain at the lower end of the spectrum, though; but as long as they they are well and healthy in themselves, they have every chance of living a normal life span. Some of my more petite adoptees from less than pristine backgrounds have lived to celebrate their 8th birthday. It very much depends on their genes and what's lurking in there.

My Begw was like that in January 2019; she's never grown past 700g but is perfectly fine and stout in herself. She was supposed to be a no longer wanted 8 weeks old boy but turned out to be a girl weighing just 200g (which is a rather small 3 weeks old).

But it is never amiss to have them checked out and make sure that they are OK. :tu:

Weight - Monitoring and Management

Minipiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Well, they’ve had their vet visit. They’re both healthy, both girls as far as they can tell (phew!), and both very small! They guessed younger than 10 weeks, but didn’t put an age on them. I’m kicking myself a bit too as Fluffy looks like she’s got a slightly sticky eye. I noticed yesterday, but forgot to mention it. They didn’t say anything about it and it doesn’t look bad, but I’ll keep watching it. I’ve bathed it with a bit of cool boiled water and cotton wool, and hopefully it will clear up on its own.