• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Newbee guinea pig owner dilemma

LucyB1234

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
HELP! I am a relatively new guinea pig Mum, I rehomed Ralph (1year old un-neutered male) from a lady who had too many animals and was overrun. He had been living with a rabbit that died and he took the loss of his friend hard. I've had him checked over by an exotic vet and he's been given a clean bill of health He's a very quiet guinea pig and looking at him, I'd say he was depressed and desperately in need of a friend. I'm going to a local rescue centre on the weekend to meet some boars and they are keen for me to take one home to try the bonding process under their remote guidance. They have an 8week waiting list for boar bonding. Being relatively new to piggy ownership, I find this daunting as I wouldn't want anything to go wrong. Should I attempt to pair him with another male or should I neuter him and find a female?
My second question is, if I do opt for a female companion, would a 4x2 C&C cage be ok or would I still need a 5x2? Space is an issue (see my other thread) and I'm looking at doing an L-shape but I think this would even be too much for the room I intend to keep them in.

Thank you in advance, Lucy & Ralph

Bonding is daunting but read through the bonding guides and refer to them frequently.
They saved my sanity when I bonded 2 pairs of sows.
Hope Ralph’s bonding does go well for you.

If it doesn’t work out then neutering is an option so that after the 6 week wait he can live with a sow ( or 2).
You can place them side by side so that Ralph has contact with another piggy until he’s safe.
I have a young boar who is living alongside my herd of 3 sows waiting out his 6 weeks. He was labelled unbondable but I don’t think there will be any problems next week when gets to meet the girls without grids in the way.

Let us know how you get on

I think try it and see. Perhaps ask them about the characters of the boys available. Personality compatibility is key.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. 🤞🏾

Ralph is off to the local rescue centre in the next couple of weeks for boar dating. They will keep him for one to two weeks in the hope that he will come home with a new bff. I'm so going to miss him in that time as we have bonded so well since he came to me. I'll be filling my empty evenings preparing his c&c cage on his return with (fingers crossed) his new cage mate!

Attachments

• IMG-20190819-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190819-WA0001.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 11
Aw, hope your little fella finds a new best friend, he’s very handsome x

Good luck Ralph. Paws crossed for him 🥰

Back