• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Newbie vet bed help

Iggle piggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

We got our two girls just over a week ago and after trying different bedding we've put in vet bedding today after reading great reviews. However, I've noticed it's wet where they've wee'd! I know it's not going to soak through and be dry again immediately but how long does it normally take? I'm worried about their feet and them laying in it as it's alot more wet than when we used wood shavings/paper based bedding.

Thanks 😊

Are the towels wet?
You haven’t for the anti slip vet bed instead? I believe it is rubbed backed and doesn’t always allow urine through

Checked and I bought from soul destiny and it was the traditional whelping vet bedding, not in the anti slip part...phew lol towels aren't wet though, it's just resting on top.

I wonder if it's because it's double woven?

Did you wash it a few times first before use? You have to do that with fleece to get it to wick. I only used vet bed for a short while but I never had problems with it being wet.

Ah, no I didn't 🤦 I'll put some sawdust on top for tonight and wash in the morning - thank you - what a numpty!

Yes this sounds like a wicking problem, the more you wash it the more absorbant it gets, maybe pop it in the washing machine and do 3 full washes at 60 degrees with no detergent to soften it up and then it might absorb more! I found vetbed type materials (we had vetfleece which is very similar to vetbed) harder to wick than ordinary fleece, its very stiff and until the stiffness went it wasnt too absorbent at all!

I have to boars and I used to use vetbed but I now use fleece liners. When I used vetbed this was my set up I lined the cage with puppy pads. Then a layer of megazorb and then I put a sheet of newspaper over the megazorb then vetbed on top. I never had any problems with the pee not draining through the vetbed was always dry. I have bought vetbed off many suppliers some better than others but the best one I found was from Petlife. The reason I switched to fleece liners is due to the maintenance of vetbed as you need to brush it after washing and drying so it’s fluffy again. Everything sticks to it and it’s a nightmare to get hay and hair off I just found it didn’t come out any cleaner after washing.

I have to boars and I used to use vetbed but I now use fleece liners. When I used vetbed this was my set up I lined the cage with puppy pads. Then a layer of megazorb and then I put a sheet of newspaper over the megazorb then vetbed on top. I never had any problems with the pee not draining through the vetbed was always dry. I have bought vetbed off many suppliers some better than others but the best one I found was from Petlife. The reason I switched to fleece liners is due to the maintenance of vetbed as you need to brush it after washing and drying so it’s fluffy again. Everything sticks to it and it’s a nightmare to get hay and hair off I just found it didn’t come out any cleaner after washing.

Hi,

I've seen people use fleece and I did try it once but I used old fleeces that I'd washed many times with fabric conditioner, they didn't seem to work as well.

Where do you get your fleece liners from?

Hi,

I've seen people use fleece and I did try it once but I used old fleeces that I'd washed many times with fabric conditioner, they didn't seem to work as well.

Where do you get your fleece liners from?

Here is a list of recommended places to get fleece liners and also fleece accesories (these have all been recommended by members so have been tried and tested!)
I personally have got my fleece liners from piggies in blankets on etsy and they are very good quality, however I haven’t bought liners from elsewhere so have nothing to compare it to!
I have also linked tutorials for making your own fleece liners if you want to have a go at that!

members recommended uk and us sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

diy tutorials for making fleece liners hay bags and cosies and sources of materials

Here is a list of recommended places to get fleece liners and also fleece accesories (these have all been recommended by members so have been tried and tested!)
I personally have got my fleece liners from piggies in blankets on etsy and they are very good quality, however I haven’t bought liners from elsewhere so have nothing to compare it to!
I have also linked tutorials for making your own fleece liners if you want to have a go at that!

members recommended uk and us sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

diy tutorials for making fleece liners hay bags and cosies and sources of materials

Wow, thank you, that's really kind - I'll have a look 😄

Back