Newbie with a few questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking into getting 2 Boy guinea pigs
not soon, maybe not even for the next year..
but i want to do my research, get the cage and just wait for when i can get them, id rather get everything ready than just jump into getting them.

Is the Rabbit 120 big enough for 2 Guinea pigs?
The Rabbit 140 looks good, but i dont think id have the room?

Rachel WD

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
120 is the minimum size you should have for 2 piggies. Boars do better with more space but it also depends on their personalities.

It's great you're checking this out before getting some piggies. A lot of people are fooled by the pet shops into buying a cage that is too small and then have to upgrade - it's just a waste of money.

You could also look into c&c cages (lots of people on here use them) which are made from the grids you buy to make box shelving. If you check out the housing section you'll probably find some pictures. You can make them whatever size you want so could have more area than a cage but in a position that suits what space you have available.

Good luck with it all, hope you get some perfect piggies :) And welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Yeah, Pet shops always trick people
selling Hamsters,Gerbils,Rats,Rabbits,Guinea's in tiny cages :/
and people never know

What are the different personalities between Boys and Girls?

Rachel WD

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Boys go through their 'teenage/hormonal' phase, usually between 3 - 15 months of age. During this period it is possible that they may fight and need to be seperated permanently. Mine would square up to each other a few times but never actually fought. So more space just gives them a chance to get away from each other when they need to. If they need to. Girls are easy to bond, although there are always exceptions :) Easiest bond of all would be a neutered boy with a girl/s (and a very happy boy at that) :))

If you were thinking of getting piggies from a rescue then you might not need to worry about this. They tend to have pairs already bonded.

Reaction score
I Think ill get 2 girls then :P.
and the rabbit 120 or 140, would i be mean if i just got the 120? because of room :L.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend looking for rescue guinea pigs nearer the time.

A reputable rescue knows their piggies' characters and will only rehome healthy, well bonded boys which very much reduces the chances of a possible fallout because they care for the piggies and want them to be happy. They will also support you during the settling in period and will take back a piggy or help out if something actually goes wrong despite all care being taken.

Usually, a 2x4 ft cage is a minimum, but different rescues have different requirements. There are also some rescue active on here that rehome nationwide, provided that a pick up can be organised.

Ideally, you want to keep an open mind in terms of looks and breeds - when you go to the rescue to meet the piggies, you may fall for a completely different pair! Often piggies that have a wonderful character get overlooked because people go for showy and/or young piggies, not knowing what they are missing out on!

Reaction score
I've measured, and would be able to fit a rabbit 140, so ill save up for that.
Id prefer rescuing a pair, my hamster was from the Rspca :D

Status
Not open for further replies.