• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Newborn guinea pigs. Urgent question

Carissa03

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I just got a guinea pig a few weeks ago we didn’t know she was pregnant and I’m sure petco didn’t know as well.. she had two beautiful little babies. However, one of the baby’s isn’t walking as well her back legs look a little limpy I am just concerned and wondering if it is normal for a newborn guinea to be like this I have this.. I have a picture on my iPhone but idk how to post on here... any help or advice is much appreciated

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. Please try and move pup next to mum if she's far away. I'll tag @Wiebke who can give you better advice.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. Please try and move pup next to mum if she's far away. I'll tag @Wiebke who can give you better advice.
The pup is actually really close to her mom.. her mom is taking good care of her and bathing her.. I just don’t want something to be wrong with her/him. She just had them this morning some tome

The pup is actually really close to her mom.. her mom is taking good care of her and bathing her.. I just don’t want something to be wrong with her/him. She just had them this morning some tome
Thank you for your reply

Oh my you really need help. There are advise threads on this forum that will help. I hope baby's and mum are ok. Poor mummy piggie .
If you got piggie from a shop then personally I'd be furious as so wrong. . . . and I'd be telling them... hope you have room for 3 . .
Guides will help with little ones and how to sex them etc.

My boyfriend and I just got a guinea pig a few weeks ago we didn’t know she was pregnant and I’m sure petco didn’t know as well.. she had two beautiful little babies. However, one of the baby’s isn’t walking as well her back legs look a little limpy I am just concerned and wondering if it is normal for a newborn guinea to be like this I have this.. I have a picture on my iPhone but idk how to post on here... any help or advice is much appreciated

Hi!

Babies can sometimes have weak back legs from being very cramped in the last days in the womb. However, this should right itself within a day or so. Try to very, very gently massage the legs and see whether that helps.

If there is no improvement, then please have the baby vet checked; they can also be born with problems. You can reclaim any vet arising from the pregnancy from the pet shop as part of your customer rights for having been sold in effect faulty ware. You can also ask for a second cage for free in case you have a boar pups.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Please read up on mother and baby care; especially our diet advice in order to protect your mother's own bodily reserves as she is still a growing youngster herself.
You can find our information neatly laid out via this guide here: Pregnancy, Mother & Baby Care Guides

Additionally you may find our new owners information collection a very helpful resource that you want to bookmark and read/re-read at need. It is one of the most comprehensive currently around; we are addressing all the issues that we get the most often asked questions and concerns in practical detail that does not gloss over the sticky bits: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Hi!

Babies can sometimes have weak back legs from being very cramped in the last days in the womb. However, this should right itself within a day or so. Try to very, very gently massage the legs and see whether that helps.

If there is no improvement, then please have the baby vet checked; they can also be born with problems. You can reclaim any vet arising from the pregnancy from the pet shop as part of your customer rights for having been sold in effect faulty ware. You can also ask for a second cage for free in case you have a boar pups.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Please read up on mother and baby care; especially our diet advice in order to protect your mother's own bodily reserves as she is still a growing youngster herself.
You can find our information neatly laid out via this guide here: Pregnancy, Mother & Baby Care Guides

Additionally you may find our new owners information collection a very helpful resource that you want to bookmark and read/re-read at need. It is one of the most comprehensive currently around; we are addressing all the issues that we get the most often asked questions and concerns in practical detail that does not gloss over the sticky bits: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides
@Wiebke Your Helping on very difficult matters is "Nulli Secundus" big hugs. X

Oh my you really need help. There are advise threads on this forum that will help. I hope baby's and mum are ok. Poor mummy piggie .
If you got piggie from a shop then personally I'd be furious as so wrong. . . . and I'd be telling them... hope you have room for 3 . .
Guides will help with little ones and how to sex them etc.
Her mommy is such a good mommy. She has been very attentive to her babies.. is it normal for one to roam away in a different hide away from his mom though? I just went to go check and he was in a different hideaway from the mom and his sibling I’m not sure if he’s just roaming around

Hi!

Thank you so much for the help.. this is our first time having a guinea pig for the both of us.. and every little thing I am freaking out about.. so is it ok to hold them after they are born? I believe she just had them early this morning.. and also another question I went to go check on them and one of the baby’s was in a whole different hideaway from the mom and sibling I wasn’t sure he he was just roaming around If that’s ok? I will absolutely read all those things

These are the babies.. the one I am concerned about is the one of the right of you can see her little
Legs

Attachments

• 4D4242DD-78D3-41EF-B4E0-1DC3DA1E5636.jpeg
    4D4242DD-78D3-41EF-B4E0-1DC3DA1E5636.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 37
You will need to start weighing them daily at the same time from tomorrow. Or you could do today though I’m not entirely sure. Have a read of the guides and pay attention to the feeding guide.

Hopefully you will end up with a boar and sow so they can all stay together and mum has company.

Ok I will. Thank you for the help. These are the little babes.

Attachments

• 0650CA93-D248-4F6C-B79A-BB3D066C1637.jpeg
    0650CA93-D248-4F6C-B79A-BB3D066C1637.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 38
I've not had babies. . Try keep calm and let mum be a mum. . .I wouldn't pick them up . .tempting tho . . Babies be scared etc. . Read the threads written by piggie people.

Yeah my boyfriend has only picked them up twice just so we can remove them from their cage just so we can clean it all up from the birthing of them. But we are trying to keep calm. Thank you for your help. I’ll read them all

Hi!

You can pick up the babies shortly. if the baby with good legs is way from its mother that is not a problem; if necessary use just one hidey, ideally with two exits until both babies are on their feet. They start moving around within a few hours of being born; you can spot clean the birthing area then. Please make sure that there is plenty of hay the babies can get to; it makes 80% of the daily food intake. Babies will start nibbling on it soon after they are born.

PLEASE take the time to read the guides in the green links in my first post - they contain the answers to your questions and many more that you are bound to come up against. We have also included a first baby days video and picture guide in that collection that also picks up on the most important points again. that should also help with your anxiety. If you find that you are becoming a bit obsessive in your focus on potential problems, please leave the weekly weigh-in and health check to your partner. ;)

Hi so I mentioned about our guinea pig having babies.. well the one that was limping in the back legs seem to be a little better today... but we still notice it’s hard for her to walk around she’s able to stand now and move around a little but her left leg looks like it’s still weak.. it’s only been a day and a half and I am hoping in the next few days she will gain more strength.. but if anyone has any idea if this is something that shouldn’t be too concerned about or what it could be please give me some insight.. my heart is breaking thinking something is wrong.. I wanted to give it a few days to see any growth and if not I do plan on taking her to a vet.. just needing some help from friends

I’m glad to hear there’s been some improvement. Hopefully there will b more over the coming days. It wouldn’t do any harm to take her and siblings and mum to the vet for a check though.

I’m going to merge this with your other thread. Please keep any updates or questions to the one thread. It makes it easier for the advisers to have history in one place - no need to go rooting around 😚

Yes that’s our plan.. we are going to give her a few days and see because just in one day she made a huge improvement and if it doesn’t look like it’s going up then we are taking them in.. but otherwise mommy and brother are doing just great. The mom whose name is Layla is such a good mommy. And ok thank you for the heads up I am so new at this I’m still trying to figure out how to use it lol sorry about that

Have you weighed mum and and pups yet? Needs to be done every day at the same time.

Back