Newly bonded boars

Cowboy&Walnut

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Points
60
Location
England
My current 4 month old boys had a fall out and the current plan is to return one boy to the breeder and get a new friend for the one we keep. I am hoping to send them to a rescue shelter for their bonding and then after the days/weeks it takes to get them settled bring them home to hopefully the hutch or if not a new c&c if it gets too late in the year for outside to be suitable for the new one. Of the hides I've currently got one is a wooden log bridge and I've also got a cardboard tube like in the attached pictures. When it comes to cleaning out the hutch I don't think I can clean this with the spray so will they need to be removed as they'll probably smell of the guinea pig we have and then cause problems for them?
 
Just to clarify, do you mean you’re getting a new piggy from the breeder and then sending them both (your original piggy and a new piggy) to a rescue for the staff there to do the bonding?
Normally you take your single piggy to the rescue and the staff will find a suitable one of their rescue piggies to bond with your piggy.

No you don’t need to throw them all away. I can’t see any pictures but I’d probably get rid of cardboard tubes and start again with those but the wooden one can still be used.

When newly bonded piggies go into a cage together, the original piggy needs to not see it as their territory. That means it either has to smell of no piggy or smell of them both. So, to be sure the hide doesn’t cause issues, you can rub the new piggy with a towel to pick up scent and then rub that towel onto the hide to transfer the scent into the hide as well
 
Just to clarify, do you mean you’re getting a new piggy from the breeder and then sending them both (your original piggy and a new piggy) to a rescue for the staff there to do the bonding?
Normally you take your single piggy to the rescue and the staff will find a suitable one of their rescue piggies to bond with your piggy.

No you don’t need to throw them all away. I can’t see any pictures but I’d probably get rid of cardboard tubes and start again with those but the wooden one can still be used.

When newly bonded piggies go into a cage together, the original piggy needs to not see it as their territory. That means it either has to smell of no piggy or smell of them both. So, to be sure the hide doesn’t cause issues, you can rub the new piggy with a towel to pick up scent and then rub that towel onto the hide to transfer the scent into the hide as well
We're sending 1 piggy back to the breeder and were looking at rescuing another piggy from an animal shelter where they do the bonding for you with a rescue pig.

Oh so with the towel thing it will sort of be like both their scent is on it?
 
Ah ok, it read like maybe you were taking one from the breeder and then taking them both to a rescue for bonding. It would be very unusual for that to happen!

Yes - both scents means it’s both their territory.
What you can never do is only have the scent of one piggy on the space; both of neither is ok though
 
Ah ok, it read like maybe you were taking one from the breeder and then taking them both to a rescue for bonding. It would be very unusual for that to happen!

Yes - both scents means it’s both their territory.
What you can never do is only have the scent of one piggy on the space; both of neither is ok though
Oh yes I've just reread my post and it does sound like that. Must proofread before pressing post 🤦🏻‍♀️ excellent will make sure I do that.
 
Back
Top