• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiera

_
Reaction score
Just woken up and to feed the piggies and found Murphy with the girls ahhhh

Kiera, is Murphy another guinea pig and is he male?

Oh goodness. If Murphy is a boar then sadly you need to now treat all the sows as if they are pregnant. Sadly it will take some time before you know as they don't show for a while, but you will need to put them on a pregnancy diet, just in case, for the sake of the babies being born a good weight (but not too big) for the smoothest birth.
Forgive me if I am jumping the gun, but if my assumptions are correct then please take a read of the following, and perhaps have the rest of your family/anyone who is involved in the care of the pigs (financially or hands-on) read it too. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-and-nursing-diet.109377/

As you mention on another thread money is tight right now please ask for rehoming help if you feel overwhelmed at any point. Nine piggies can cause quite an impact on finances and room, and if indeed any sows are pregnant then you will need a vet on standby in case of complications. Please though on that note, don't rehome any that may be pregnant unless it's on here to someone who knows the back-story, or talk to your local rescue.

OK. Can we still please clarify the facts?

Is Murphy a guinea pig?
I take it from "they go for him" to mean that Murphy is a guinea pig boar who got in with some sows, and the sows have chased/snapped at/attacked Murphy.

If this correct please?

Even so, you say you woke up to find him in with them. Even though they are going for him now it doesn't mean he hasn't managed to mate with one or more of them already.

yep and nope yet
Then even though the sows keep 'going' for him you need to treat them as if pregnant please, just in case. Please refer to my earlier post and let your family know too.
Do you know how he got in with them?

So Murphy is a Boy Guinea Pig and not neutered.

Okay you need to go ultra responsible and not let them anywhere near each other. If you can't guarantee that then they need to be in separate rooms.

You will need to treat the sows as 'pregnant' and put them on watch.

How many piggies do you have in your care at the moment?

So Murphy is a Boy Guinea Pig and not neutered.

Okay you need to go ultra responsible and not let them anywhere near each other. If you can't guarantee that then they need to be in separate rooms.

You will need to treat the sows as 'pregnant' and put them on watch.

How many piggies do you have in your care at the moment?
9 females

Oh dear what a worry for you. Do you know how he got in and are you able to keep him securely separate from now on?

Luckily you have this wonderful forum to give advice. Perhaps your parents could have a read of some of the guides above to help them know what to expect.

Best of luck to you. Keep asking questions.

That does sound like an absolute nightmare!

Perhaps move the boars to a separate room to prevent any further accidents! It does sound very possible that one if not a few sows could be pregnant as a result.

Make sure to read the feeding guides carefully, and keep asking questions - everyone on this forum are absolutely lovely people; they'll be able to answer most if not all the questions you have! Just be sure to try and be as detailed as possible with your replies - the more detail you give everyone, the more help they can give!

Make sure all your piggies are registered with a piggy savvy vet - the vet locator is at the top of the page - and make sure you read the guides others have linked to your thread - they're very helpful!

Best of luck - keep us updated and just ask if you need anything, okay? I've always had girls so never had this problem myself, but there are some very knowledgeable, experienced, lovely people here on the forum that can help!

Oh goodness me :( I'm so sorry that you are having all these problems.

I didn't post in your other thread Keira but if Murphy has got in with your girls, you need to realise just how serious this is.

Please, please listen to the advise that members are giving you and please answer their questions so that they can help you!

If Murphy has been with your girls for all that time, then yes, you may or may not have pregnancies but you will need to now have all the girls on pregnancy watch.

Please read the pregnancy guides carefully.

Please do not think that I am having a go at you, but it seems to me that you are out of your depth with your guinea pigs although I do appreciate that you love them all very much.

So far it seems to me from previous threads that you have failed to take notice of the advice given but in this instance, please do listen to what members are saying and accept all of the help offered.

What have your parents said about this latest incident? I really think it would be a good idea if they come on to the forum and accept the help and read the guides too as you really shouldn't be dealing with all this alone.

We're all here for you

So if you have two boars have you ever tried to see if they will bond together rather than trying to neuter?

I thought that Kiara only had Murphy boar after the sad loss of Jack.

I assume you live with your mother Kiera. You also have mentioned your sister.
Do either of them get involved with the care of all the guinea pigs that you have talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back