Nipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We just adopted a guinea pig, Jericho, a very nice looking boy however, he nips, he nips when you try and get him out to handle him and check him over and he nips sometimes when he's sat on you. If he nips when I try and get him out do I just get him out anyway or just leave him be?

I don't want to stress him out.

The poor little boy wasn't really picked up and I was told he never really saw people unless they were feeding him and cleaning his cage, it's a bit sad really.

Ed55

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Glad you were able to give Jericho a good home! Seems Jericho is adjusting to his new surroundings at the moment and may be a bit nervous. With a bit of time he likely will start coming around! Many recommendations are to leave pigs in their hutch for the first couple days they are in their new home so they can settle in.

Our current boy behaved similarly (was also adopted we are his second home), and he has turned around quite a bit since we got him! no more nips, (unless we make the mistake of using cucumber hand lotion) :P

AuntyC

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw bless him! Sounds like any handling he got before was rough and ready. The old trick of using a tunnel, cardboard box or small carrier might be handy in his case. He walks in, you pick up the box with him in. If he nips quite hard a pair of woolly gloves might help!

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's how we've caught guinea's before lol, I'll tell my son as it's him that gets the piggies out, don't worry he's an adult lol, 21 almost 22, Jericho does nip or try and nip when he's holding him, he said he did it when he took him to the vets, he was holding him so the vet could do his claws and he said he tried nipping the vet as well lol. I might nickname him nippy. My son's pretty laid back though so he just says "ow" when he does it and laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.