• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yesterday I held Simba again, I'm starting to get me and him confidence in being held. But yesterday I had him in my arms, 1 of my hands was near his mouth and he kinda nipped my finger! Not a bite and it didnt hurt at all, in fact I dont even think I felt teeth. Was he trying to hurt me? Or is it just tasting?

Mine will nibble my fingers / hand, I think it depends on what my hands smell like at the time :)

one of mine does this ut he does it to express displeasure. For every nail I clip of his he'll give me a nip on the wrist. They don't hurt but they do get harder if I continue to displease him. Piggies! Saying that he had his first bth last night and behaved admirably, only once tried to escape and no nips. :)

I don't think they mean anything bad by it :)
I have one that tugs at my clothing quite regularly...hence the poor condition of most of my knitwear ::)

Barbara

there are piggies, and then there are piggies ;)

Most of mine have occasionally nipped me - licked sweat of my hand and then tried to give it a bite too, well of course, its a piggy thing to try to eat ANYTHING they can get their teeth on! ::) They mostly stop when they notice its not a carrot.

But there was one who just did it to be nasty, he just wanted to show me that noooooooo he did not under no circumstances want to be picked up, or have his nails clipped, or be cuddled. Just wasnt having it. So he would nip, and nip a bit more, a bit harder, until id put him down. Little devil he was. Otherwise completely tame, wouldnt flinch the slightest if I came stomping down the stairs, and he would eat out of my hand and all.. just didnt like being handled and showed me ;)

I've read that piggies eyesight is not very good ,I've found sometimes they may have a little nip but once they know it is a finger and not a carrot the stop immediately bless "them ;D

My boy, if he's out like tonight, running around the room for 2 hours, he will come up to me, jump over my arms sit in my open hand and generally be loving. If i get him out of his cageand sit him on my knee, within a few minutes, he's pulling at my clothes and would bite me if given a chance. some like to be picked up, some don't. You've got to respect their wishes, or suffer the consequences. ;D

Once ive caught mine they are happy to be held and are quite content at sitting on my chest and going to sleep

They like to have a nibble on my necklace and have on occassion bit my neck but not hard the girls like to lick my fingers dont ask me why have no idea but they have a good sniff and lick and then just sit there looking at me !

Fudge used to nip me from when I got him to about 6 months old, but he's stopped now, so it's probably his age. Fudge was a petshop pig too and I don't think he'd been handled that much, the others have never nipped. Just keep handling him and hopefully he'll stop!

Emily & Sylvie nip - Emily definately does it when I've done something she doesn't like such as pick her up to put her in her cage after floor time or if I stop her running off my knee if I'm giving her a brush. Sylvie is an unknown entity! She just gets really really excited sometimes & nips she is my loving hyperactive child! It never hurts from either of them. But teeth connecting with my skin will always make me jump! It did get a bit much when Emily was young so I didn't take my hand away or change what I was doing to show her that it wasn't going to have any effect which did help.

My girls used to squeel when i put my hand in the cage. I don't think they had been handled much at all. They are much better now and me and Nutmeg are bonding well. She will sit there licking and trying to chew my finger, bless! Grissom just prefers to hide in my jumper still. I just have to be patient untill she is ready.

My pig Nibbles only licks my fingers, but she doesn't like to be held for a long time, and then she tends to nip you until you put her down again. My 2 boys Cookie and Squidge always lick my fingers after I've been handling my girls! :D

I dont think any of mine have really nipped,maybe Chessy once or twice and Fidget when she was pregnant
I had Caramel lying next to me last night while I was watching tv,he was there 4 hours and licked my arm on and off all thru that time,I was just waiting for him to nibble but he didnt ( he did enjoy the zombie film though,heh)

cavykind said:
I don't think they mean anything bad by it :)
I have one that tugs at my clothing quite regularly...hence the poor condition of most of my knitwear ::)

Barbara

;D I can relate to that one to

Guineas are loving creatures and they see the world through their mouth to. I have some who licks me all over, some tries to "clean" me by gently nipping my skin and some nips rather hard when they get angry og annoyed. And some just HAVE to put things in their mouth. Like towel strings, carpets, threads and yes my knitwear sweaters to ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back