• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

No Lawn For A While - Advice On Suitable Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyface:)

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We had work done to the house last year, and the building materials left the lawn flattened, covered in moss, with no grass and just small bits of stone, nails etc from the works. We only have a small garden and an even smaller lawn.

So we will soon be getting the top layer of soil removed and turf put down so the kids can quickly get their lawn back for the summer!

But I am planning to put the boys Dandelion Hutch at the end of the lawn against a fence and I would like to attach a permanent run to the hutch and probably connect it to one side so I still have access for cleaning the hutch without having to remove the run and would any grass in this fixed run end up being eaten down too quickly?

So other than grass in the fixed run what would be a good alternative? Wanted to see what others find easiest before I do something daft.

cheers in advance! :))

Your plan sounds like a good comprise. Would you be able to grow some grass -maybe in some seed trays? If you had a few seed trays, you could replace them in the run to ensure they get a bit of grass daily

I have 3 gps in a very large run. I have to move the run every 3/4 days. If I left it any longer there wouldn't be any grass left. Its a pain because I would like to fix the run to a hutch too. But I wouldn't be able to move it around the garden

You could grow grass and wheat grass in several trays, so you can move them in and out as a cut-and-come crop.

Your plan sounds like a good comprise. Would you be able to grow some grass -maybe in some seed trays? If you had a few seed trays, you could replace them in the run to ensure they get a bit of grass daily
never though about trays, I am planning on getting a wee plastic green house to grow some veggies for them too, so could slide a few trays in there - great thinking!
Didnt want to give them the turf till its been cut a few times as I read on here that some turf has been treated with chemicals.

I have 3 gps in a very large run. I have to move the run every 3/4 days. If I left it any longer there wouldn't be any grass left. Its a pain because I would like to fix the run to a hutch too. But I wouldn't be able to move it around the garden

I would love to be able to just use a moveable run but last year, before the work began I found that the kids were tramping/sitting in the guinea poo once the run was moved, our lawn is so small - so the lawn wouldn't be a full time grassing area for them. I did try to poop scoop the area after they were out but it did become tiresome - perhaps I could take the hoover to them? XD The kids also have a large trampoline which takes up a good chunk of the grass too, so I think a designated run would be really great to ensure piggies have their space and the kids have theirs too.

You could grow grass and wheat grass in several trays, so you can move them in and out as a cut-and-come crop.
@Wiebke this is really sounding like it might be the solution - grass grows so quickly, and its only the kids tramping and the birds that have stopped out lawn looking thick in the past, and I also have my own cat, and passing cats that sometimes pee on it too - if they are grown in the greenhouse in lots of little trays that would work a treat!

Just googled wheat grass seeds and didnt realise that there are so many out there! Is this different to normal lawn grass and would there be any restrictions on how much they could munch each day once they are eased back into eating grass again? :)

never though about trays, I am planning on getting a wee plastic green house to grow some veggies for them too, so could slide a few trays in there - great thinking!
Didnt want to give them the turf till its been cut a few times as I read on here that some turf has been treated with chemicals.

I can't take the credit for the idea of growing grass in trays/pots - I got the idea from Wiebke .

I've got some growing for rainy days

I would love to be able to just use a moveable run but last year, before the work began I found that the kids were tramping/sitting in the guinea poo once the run was moved, our lawn is so small - so the lawn wouldn't be a full time grassing area for them. I did try to poop scoop the area after they were out but it did become tiresome - perhaps I could take the hoover to them? XD The kids also have a large trampoline which takes up a good chunk of the grass too, so I think a designated run would be really great to ensure piggies have their space and the kids have theirs too.
I see I don't have this problem as my dog Douglas always hoover up the piggy poo.:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back