• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

No pellets diet

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My girls aren't eating their pellets. I know that this is a small portion of the diet and they can be fine without any.

Is there anything I need to think about when going pellet free?

I don't know anything about pellet free diets. But, how long have you tried to give them pellets?

I don't know anything about pellet free diets. But, how long have you tried to give them pellets?
I've had them 6 months. They're on science selective grain free as I'm aware of the calcium: phosphorus ratio content in other pellets. They were eating them fine but for the past couple of weeks they've left pellets. Still eating veggies and lots of hay though. :)

Have you changed their routine? I feed mine pellets in the morning when I 1st get up. If I get up late and feed them late they dont eat the pellets. They gulp down the pellets if fed at the "correct" time so it's odd they leave them later in the day.

I wouldn’t worry. As long as their weight is good then they are eating enough hay.
Mine only get pellets a few times a week, it‘ll probably be even less when they’re out on grass more. I give them a variety of veg and dried forage from piggy parcels

Have you changed their routine? I feed mine pellets in the morning when I 1st get up. If I get up late and feed them late they dont eat the pellets. They gulp down the pellets if fed at the "correct" time so it's odd they leave them later in the day.
Pellets alway have been fed at night, veggies in the morning. Nothings changed.

My boys will scoff the lot in no time, but my girls really don't care now

I wouldn’t worry. As long as their weight is good then they are eating enough hay.
Mine only get pellets a few times a week, it‘ll probably be even less when they’re out on grass more. I give them a variety of veg and dried forage from piggy parcels
Ok. I've got to intro mine to the grass yet. That'll be fun.

I was just wondering if there was anything in the pellets other than vit c which I should try and get into their diet through veggies/forage.

Piggy parcels look good :)

There is other things in pellets but youll drive yourself mad trying to match it. Best thing is to give a good variety of veggies, grass when you can. The forages will also help.
There are of course other pellets you can try which are absolutely fine so you can be more assured they are getting a good balance of nutrients. If you’re worried about calcium etc, then just ensure you don’t overfeed pellets, perhaps don’t give them every day for example. I use Haybox own pellets and they get them just a times a week

Piggie Parcels forage is fantastic!

Back