• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Noise when being picked up

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve noticed only while picking Bruno up (when he’s being lifted) I hear a few clicks from him , after that I don’t hear anything. Is this cause for concern?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Can you please take a video? It is impossible to judge what is going on just going by your words.

Please be aware that picking up is generally stressful for piggies; this means that even the slightest obstruction in the small and narrow airways is becoming audible with increased heavier breathing. Guinea pigs don't breath much with their mouths. If you don't hear anything at other times, I would frankly not worry.
The clicking sounds that are serious are clicking with the teeth (generally an expression of pain/overgrowing teeth) or from the lungs (can indicate pneumonia, especially in combination with heavy breathing from diaphragm).

You may however want to see whether you can train your piggies to come into a pick-up conveyance of some sort in order to make the process less stressful for them as it cuts very close to their prey animal instincts.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely