• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Noises Sprout shouts at

Sonnet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Include the wind blowing through the trees, birds, motorbikes/cars, dogs barking and the fan on my stove. Let me explain that last one.
The piggies are currently housed in my kitchen, since that’s the only place I have space for them to be. So of course, every time I open the fridge/do anything there, I get two pairs of eyes staring at me.

Made porridge for breakfast this morning, and as I normally do, I turned the fan on. Wandered off while the porridge was cooking, but all of a sudden...

Sprout: WHEEK! WHEEK WHEEK WHEEK!

Rushed back in because I thought he’d hurt himself, or something had frightened him. No, he was fine, just shouting very very loudly for no reason that I could see. They’d both had breakfast, so I couldn’t work out why he would suddenly start shrieking like that. Checked the porridge which was done, so turned the stove/fan off.

Sprout:...*returns to munching his hay*
Me: Wait...the fan set you off!?

He’s never done that before. All I can think is that maybe the noise of the fan was suddenly bothering him. Thing is though, it’s been on before, and he hasn’t reacted. Funny boy.

My two are in the living room, next to my kitchen. Every time I walk past I get wheeked at, even if I've just put something in the cage for them 5mins before! Any bag rustle, me coughing in another room, anything really!? They're blooming noisy pigs!
Nice to know it's not just mine that shout the house down! :)

My two are in the living room, next to my kitchen. Every time I walk past I get wheeked at, even if I've just put something in the cage for them 5mins before! Any bag rustle, me coughing in another room, anything really!? They're blooming noisy pigs!
Nice to know it's not just mine that shout the house down! :)

Yep, same for me! Though it’s Sprout who gets really loud. He’s discovered that if he sits in one corner of the cage, he can see me in the living room. If I so much as twitch, I get the song of the guinea pig shouted at me. Or he goes and rattles his water bottle, which in turn knocks it off, so then I have to get up to put it back on. Of course I then get the “starving, please insert food into mouth” routine!

Spud’s much quieter, and resorts to doing laps round his cage when he wants something.

Mine are next to the kitchen too! I can’t put the kettle on without being yelled (sorry, wheaked) at 🤣

Same!

I gave my piggies their veg dinner last night to the normal "I'm starving and I haven't been fed in eleventy billion years" series of WHEEEEEEKS and 5 minutes later I went back out to put in their snugglesafes and got the same "I'm starving and I haven't been fed in eleventy billion years" routine when their was still some veg left (it doesn't last long with 5 clearly starving piggies).

I gave my piggies their veg dinner last night to the normal "I'm starving and I haven't been fed in eleventy billion years" series of WHEEEEEEKS and 5 minutes later I went back out to put in their snugglesafes and got the same "I'm starving and I haven't been fed in eleventy billion years" routine when their was still some veg left (it doesn't last long with 5 clearly starving piggies).

Oh yes. In fact, I’m currently getting the thousand yard stare and “where is the food” teeth gnashing that goes with it. You’d think that all we do is neglect to feed them sometimes! Anyone who thinks that guinea pigs are dull or boring clearly hasn’t shared their lives with them!

The back door means grass is coming.
The fridge means veggies are coming.
The biscuit tin means nuggets are coming.
If I go out and come in the front door food is coming.
And so it goes on.
They sing their song.
Wheek Wheek Wheek!
And I sing mine. No No No!

The back door means grass is coming.
The fridge means veggies are coming.
The biscuit tin means nuggets are coming.
If I go out and come in the front door food is coming.
And so it goes on.
They sing their song.
Wheek Wheek Wheek!
And I sing mine. No No No!

Exactly! Mind you, if I tell them no, then I still get shouted at.

Mind are in my bedroom, Bacon doesn’t really wheek but Smokey does a lot

He wheeks at:

Footsteps

Bags (any bags)

The hay being moved

My voice

My piggies hate some of the sounds we make. You know the sound they make when they are rumble strutting, the growling like sound? They do that whenever they hear the keys jingle, when hubby coughs or sneeze, and whenever I laugh when they are on my lap. Not all of my piggies do it for all. Bunny in the past would growl for the keys, and then Cookie started doing that a few weeks ago. Bunny and Meemee (when thy were both alive) would also growl whenever I laugh, which makes me laugh more! Cookie and Prince would growl when hubby coughs, or clear his throat or sneeze. I haven't heard Sierra do that yet, but she squeeks everytime she sees hubby stand up and go to the kitchen, any darn time of the day. But what surprised us most with all of them is whenever hubby would run the bath at night, they all know they would get the nightly treats and would squeek all their hearts out! So if hubby gets an early bath, all they think is they're getting treats!

Last edited:
Our boys can tell the difference between our foot steps on the stairs, hubby can go down no issues, I put foot on top step and the wheeking starts! They are definitely mammy's boys!

Mind are in my bedroom, Bacon doesn’t really wheek but Smokey does a lot

He wheeks at:

Footsteps

Bags (any bags)

The hay being moved

My voice

Haha!

My piggies hate some of the sounds we make. You know the sound they make when they are rumble strutting, the growling like sound? They do that whenever they hear the keys jingle, when hubby coughs or sneeze, and whenever I laugh when they are on my lap. Not all of my piggies do it for all. Bunny in the past would growl for the keys, and then Cookie started doing that a few weeks ago. Bunny and Meemee (when thy were both alive) would also growl whenever I laugh, which makes me laugh more! Cookie and Prince would growl when hubby coughs, or clear his throat or sneeze. I haven't heard Sierra do that yet, but she squeeks everytime she sees hubby stand up and go to the kitchen, any darn time of the day. But what surprised us most with all of them is whenever hubby would run the bath at night, they all know they would get the nightly treats and would squeek all their hearts out! So if hubby gets an early bath, all they think is they're getting treats!

Sprout hates my keys jingling. He rumbles, then tries to hide if the noise continues. Also the hoover sends both of them loopy. Sprout dashes round wildly, and Spud just popcorns all over the place, which sends bedding flying out of the cage...and that means that I have to hoover up a spot I’ve already done!

My piggies can recognise the sound of our car and start wheeking, they never wheek at any other cars parking even though our street is quite busy, but they hear piggy daddy pulling up outside.... wheek wheek wheek! Right now they are wheeking at the sound of piggy daddy unwrapping a sandwich, even though they just had a snack and a mountain of fresh hay...

Back