• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Normal eye poke progression or worrying?

ClaudiaS

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello
Yesterday morning one of my girls had a watery eye that looked a little droopy. I whisked her off to the vet and apparently she has a corneal ulcer or something. So this means eye drops three times a day. The vet said to keep a close eye on her and bring her back on Friday if she gets worse or next week otherwise. Today, I noticed her eye is looking cloudy (she is still eating and drinking)! However, when I looked online, most people seem to start taking their piggie to the vet when it is at the cloudy stage. So is this a normal part of the eye poke/healing process? Or should I take her back to the vet tomorrow?

Thanks!

Its possible its just normal progression but may be worth giving your vet a quick call to see if they recommend another visit.

Hi :) When Minstrel had hay poke her eye went cloudy before it started clearing up again; however I did take her for a check up with the vet after 3 days of giving the drops so I agree with the above that I would give them a quick call to see if they think she ought to come in sooner than next week! Better to be over cautious just in case :)

when my boys have had hay poke it usually goes cloudy pretty instantly or not at all. did they remove a piece of hay from the eye at the vet's or did you do that before you took them?

OK, I think I will call in the morning then.

I couldn't find anything left in her eye and neither could the vet (a much better check than mine!). Does this make a difference? Does it mean it could be something else?

Hi!

One of my piggies had a severe corneal abrasion/ulcer from some hay that got under her eyelid. At the time, the vet mentioned it going through stages where it might look worse (more cloudy) before it was all better. An emergency would be it looking like a pink bubble. Id just call for reassurance.

Good luck!

This might sound random but would they accept a photo of the eye if you sent one in? I only say that because my daughter got a spreading green dot under her fingernail (infection) and the Doc said to just send in a photo then phoned to say her antibiotics could be collected from the chemist!

Good news! Cinnamon's eye is looking so much better this morning! The vet did say something about cloudy when I went in on Wednesday but I was busy worrying about how stressed Cinnamon looked and I don't think I paid full attention! :oops: I think she is OK this morning and I was overreacting a little!😟

This might sound random but would they accept a photo of the eye if you sent one in? I only say that because my daughter got a spreading green dot under her fingernail (infection) and the Doc said to just send in a photo then phoned to say her antibiotics could be collected from the chemist!
I'm not sure I need to ask now but I wonder if the vets would use photos. I know many vets are worried about Telemedicine as animals can't tell you how they feel. Maybe I can ask when she goes in for the check up on Wednesday.

Back