• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Normal recovery from cystitis/urethral stone?

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, my little girl Nelli finished her round of antibiotics yesterday. She has been peeing and pooing without any noise for a few days now, and has been doing perfectly well.

However, within the past hour she has done 5-10 smell wees, plus poos, where she’s been squeaking in pain😓

Is this normal in the recovery period or should I contact the vet again?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, my little girl Nelli finished her round of antibiotics yesterday. She has been peeing and pooing without any noise for a few days now, and has been doing perfectly well.

However, within the past hour she has done 5-10 smell wees, plus poos, where she’s been squeaking in pain😓

Is this normal in the recovery period or should I contact the vet again?

If you notice a persistent return of the squeaking when peeing and pooing in the coming days, then please see your vet again. it is highly likely that you are dealing with a sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) interstitial (recurring) cystitis (bladder infection). This is an increasingly common urinary tract problem that doesn't react to antibiotics, cannot be healed and is usually managed with metacam and plenty of glucosamine to replenish the affected glucosamine layer in the urinary tract that keep the corrosive urine from coming into contact with raw flesh. It has a tendency to flare up every few weeks until it hopefully eventually goes away on its own but more in a matter of years than months. The good news is that it doesn't cause bladder stones and doesn't shorten the life span.

Sterile interstitial cavy cystitis is not well known outside vet circles that see guinea pigs frequently so if your vet is not familiar with it, then they may want to do some research. Sterile IC is now much more common than UTI in well kept pet piggies from what we see on here. However, sincer sterile IC can usually only be diagnosed by default, treating for UTI first and exluding any urinary stones/sludge second is the usual way to go.

PS: I currently have another IC piggy (Breila) but my Nerys (the big teddy in my avatar) was my first. She had sterile IC for 3 years and then had another 3 years of life totally free from bladder issues until she died aged 8 from an age related problem.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
When did she first get diagnosed, and how long was the original course of antibiotics?
When Ruby had bladder sludge and a blockage, she was initially prescribed 12 days worht of antibiotics, however even after that time she clearly wasn't fully recovered and her bladder had not fully settled down so we ended up doing a longer course of antibiotics combined with supplements.

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you notice a persistent return of the squeaking when peeing and pooing in the coming days, then please see your vet again. it is highly likely that you are dealing with a sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) interstitial (recurring) cystitis (bladder infection). This is an increasingly common urinary tract problem that doesn't react to antibiotics, cannot be healed and is usually managed with metacam and plenty of glucosamine to replenish the affected glucosamine layer in the urinary tract that keep the corrosive urine from coming into contact with raw flesh. It has a tendency to flare up every few weeks until it hopefully eventually goes away on its own but more in a matter of years than months. The good news is that it doesn't cause bladder stones and doesn't shorten the life span.

Sterile interstitial cavy cystitis is not well known outside vet circles that see guinea pigs frequently so if your vet is not familiar with it, then they may want to do some research. Sterile IC is now much more common than UTI in well kept pet piggies from what we see on here. However, sincer sterile IC can usually only be diagnosed by default, treating for UTI first and exluding any urinary stones/sludge second is the usual way to go.

PS: I currently have another IC piggy (Breila) but my Nerys (the big teddy in my avatar) was my first. She had sterile IC for 3 years and then had another 3 years of life totally free from bladder issues until she died aged 8 from an age related problem.
Oh okay, that makes a lot of sense! Because she finished her course of antibiotics I also took her off the Tramadol this morning, but she is still on Metacam, so I’m wondering if the change in pain meds might have also made her more tender.

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When did she first get diagnosed, and how long was the original course of antibiotics?
When Ruby had bladder sludge and a blockage, she was initially prescribed 12 days worht of antibiotics, however even after that time she clearly wasn't fully recovered and her bladder had not fully settled down so we ended up doing a longer course of antibiotics combined with supplements.
She was diagnosed with it last Wednesday, and had a 7 day course of Baytril. I’ve been giving her Cystease too.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
She was diagnosed with it last Wednesday, and had a 7 day course of Baytril. I’ve been giving her Cystease too.
7 days for a urinary tract infection is very short. Normally you'd expect 2-4 weeks (about 3 on baytril and 4 on sulfatrim/septrin).