• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nose scab... Help pleaseee

Shania

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I cannot take my vet to the vet rn and we dont have guinea pig vets in my country. I recently noticed a scab on my piggies nose... Can someone help plzzz

Attachments

• 15970138725382078546469718593404.jpg
    15970138725382078546469718593404.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 15970139162065302124193032189267.jpg
    15970139162065302124193032189267.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 24
It could be the start of something fungal or nothing, but I’m afraid we can’t really tell you. Keep an eye on it and take to the vet if it gets worse. I know your vets don’t know much about it, but we also can’t advise you otherwise - we’re not qualified vets and can’t diagnose through photos.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Last edited:
:agr:

Please take the time to read our very detailed ringworm guide if you notice the problem getting worse. We can only guess without having direct access to your piggy; not that we are qualified to replace a vet.

If you have a new piggy, then you can reclaim any vet treatment from the pet shop.
You can find more informationon your customer rights in this link here: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

PS: Can you please keep any updates/questions on the same subject to a single thread which makes it much easier for us to support you best instead of having to ask you the same background questions etc. all the time. The more information is being kept together, the better and more personalised the answers and the more ongoing support you will get.

:agr:

Please take the time to read our very detailed ringworm guide if you notice the problem getting worse. We can only guess without having direct access to your piggy; not that we are qualified to replace a vet.

If you have a new piggy, then you can reclaim any vet treatment from the pet shop.
You can find more informationon your customer rights in this link here: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

PS: Can you please keep any updates/questions on the same subject to a single thread which makes it much easier for us to support you best instead of having to ask you the same background questions etc. all the time. The more information is being kept together, the better and more personalised the answers and the more ongoing support you will get.
Hello. They are not new piggies. Ive had them for about 3 months. Uo till now its neither getting worse not better. I'm going to contact the vets and ask about it and go there. But they are not expert at guinea pigs. There are only cat and dog vets here. And we are currently in winter, so if I'm given a shampoo, should i bath them or not. Because its 16°c and idk if they can catch cold easily. Becaude the one who has the nose scab occasionally sneezes. The other doesnt have anything on the nose, but i noticed it getting flacky white skin which caused the hairs to glue together and is losing hair in this area.

16c is still okay for them. You just have to try and dry them as much as possible with a towel. I don’t know how ringworm is treated (luckily not encountered it yet) but the vet will be best placed to tell you how to treat. However, they shouldn’t get water near their face or nose.

:agr: Coconut oil won't do anything. You have to be extra careful with hygiene in case it's ringworm.

Hi.. Since my guinea pig was sick few weeks ago, it became dirty near the bottom area. Right now its 17°c and my piggy is 3 month old. Should i bathe him or is he too young?

Hi.. Since my guinea pig was sick few weeks ago, it became dirty near the bottom area. Right now its 17°c and my piggy is 3 month old. Should i bathe him or is he too young?

Only bathe a guinea pig if they are very dirty.
17 degrees is fine. As long as you ensure the room is warm and you dry them with a towel afterwards, then the temperature is fine.

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

have you been able to speak to the vet about the nose scab yet?

Are you piggies now eating hay every day?
Have you for the scales yet to be able to weigh them to ensure they are eating enough hay?

Only bathe a guinea pig if they are very dirty.
17 degrees is fine. As long as you ensure the room is warm and you dry them with a towel afterwards, then the temperature is fine.

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

have you been able to speak to the vet about the nose scab yet?

Are you piggies now eating hay every day?
Have you for the scales yet to be able to weigh them to ensure they are eating enough hay?
Hii yess. I did. They are telling me they dont have any cream or shampoo. They dont know what it is. And because of the coronavirus, they cannot import any guinea pig productsss

Hii yess. I did. They are telling me they dont have any cream or shampoo. They dont know what it is. And because of the coronavirus, they cannot import any guinea pig productsss

This really is such a difficult situation for you. Without a vet you are going to keep coming up against medical issues which you can’t effectively treat. Did you contact any rescue centres as we advised previously to ask which vets they had or how they are getting hold of medical products?

Are you weighing them weekly now with kitchen scales?

This really is such a difficult situation for you. Without a vet you are going to keep coming up against medical issues which you can’t effectively treat. Did you contact any rescue centres as we advised previously to ask which vets they had or how they are getting hold of medical products?

Are you weighing them weekly now with kitchen scales?
Hi yes. They are not losing weight.
Yes i contacted everyone. But as i said, guinea pigs are unusual pets here and no escue centre has anything for them. Can i apply coconut oil, because i read that it helps with skin problem?

Hi yes. They are not losing weight.
Yes i contacted everyone. But as i said, guinea pigs are unusual pets here and no escue centre has anything for them. Can i apply coconut oil, because i read that it helps with skin problem?

Make sure they have access to lots of hay every day, it is their main food source. Weigh them weekly so ensure they gain weight each week.

No you can’t just apply coconut oil. If they have a fungal infection, then coconut oil will do nothing except potentially make it worse

Make sure they have access to lots of hay every day, it is their main food source. Weigh them weekly so ensure they gain weight each week.

No you can’t just apply coconut oil. If they have a fungal infection, then coconut oil will do nothing except potentially make it worse
Is there anyyy home treatment i can do rn?

Is there anyyy home treatment i can do rn?

No. You can’t home treat, we never advise on home treatments because you don’t know what is wrong, home treatments are at best ineffective and at worst dangerous

One piggy has a nose scab and the other has some type of dandruff behind the ears..

One piggy has a nose scab and the other has some type of dandruff behind the ears..

Then there are skin problems going on potentially with both of them. You need to have access to a vet to be able to get them the treatment they need.

Hello. Can i use tried grass as hay? Because theres no hay rn in my country because no plane could get in the country ect...

Back