• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not a good start to the New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well, after finding Spike with some blood in his urine on Christmas day a trip to the vets and 5 injections later he seems to have cleared up great......

Then we got home after being away for Hogmany and we find Gizmo can hardly walk...I though she'd fallen off her house or something but when the vet had a look it seems to be a pocket of fluid around her rear leg. The vet took an x-ray and discovered a large growth which is pushing her leg back and not allowing her to use it. He reckons it's a tumour because of its outline and also thinks it's inoperable.
It's position seems to be around her left mammary. From looking online surgery seems to be quite successful, she's still eating and drinking like a trooper although she's now started to stop walking.....the vet gave her painkillers yesterday and antibiotics, we're due back tomorrow for more antibiotics........she's just turned 5 and was my first little piggy, it's killing me seeing her like this, I looked at the x-ray with the vet and he says it appears quite intrusive but I couldn't see it impacting upon anything other than pushing her hip back.....I trust the vet but wonder if he's thinking the cost might not be worth it....where as I'm thinking any price is worth a shot, if she goes on the table at least she'll be at peace.....?

At the moment I have her out for hugs, she's still fussy enough to tell me to put her back in the cage so she can pee rather than pee on me.....Spike senses something as well, he keeps trying to cuddle into her......

Any advice or suggestions on how I approach the vets visit tomorrow? There's been no biopsy done or anything, but it is about the size of a golf ball.....I've been tearing myself apart at not noticing it, even when out for hugs, she's been twitchy since we got her when you go near her rear and not been acting any different.......she's an Abi.....

I'm sorry you are having trouble with you little girl. Are there any other cavy savvy vets near you where you could go for a second opinion? If not I would speak to your vet and just let them know that you want to do what you can for her. However if the vet doesn't feel confident enough to do it I don't think I would want them to. Good luck with her. x

My 8 year old had a tumour growing on his back leg also, it got to the point he was only walking when necessary, but he could still walk. Is the tumour sticking out i.e. noticeable ? Hoover's was clearly showing and he also had one on his back. At 8 I didnt want to risk an operation, he hated the vets and it wouldnt be a peaceful end for him personally as he would have wanted to be with me as I gained his trust he had lost in humans, but I can see why you would do it.

I am not trying to scare you but the decision has to be made quick if its anything like Hoover's as my vet did say it could grow (and it was, rapidly) and actually break his leg which would cause excruciating pain for him. We gave him 1 week of bliss (treats I previously restricted, crazy amount of hay etc) and then had him PTS, it was luckily just in time as it was very close to hurting him badly.

Sorry if they are graphic but this is Hoovers tumour after he was pts, his bum is yellow as obviously he was sitting in his pee alot in the end :( I took the pics to help people with similar issues...

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

No the tumour isn't noticeable other than Gizz not using her left rear leg......except on the x-ray which shows it to be about golf ball sized.......I'm back at vets tomorrow at 10.30 for a talk, it may be PTS if he's not willing to try anything......from still hopping about this morning she's now taken to just lying still, she'll eat and drink like a trojan if I bring it to her, I can't believe how quick this thing must have grown.........he said it was smooth edged rather than fuzzy edged which means tumour......not sure if or how its connected to anything from the x-ray.........I just wish it could be removed......

She's also getting all the attention and cuddles just now, as she's always only sat still for me.....she was defo my piggy with the wee man being my wifes favourite...

Just to add, from looking at your photo's Gizzy's tumour is defo not in the leg, which makes me think it could be mammary from its position....it's pushing against the inside of her hip/leg and straightening her leg out so she's dragging it....I'd hate to think it could be cutting off blood supply.....I so hope she makes it through the night.....

Here's a pic from when we got her.......

001.jpg

They really do grow quick, I was surprised as well. He first got one the size of a marble on his back, by the next day a visable one was on his leg as can be seen above, it went from being unnoticable to rather big looking in 24 hours, luckily it did slow down which allowed me to have the week with him.

I'll keep updated from tomorrow but if the vets not prepared then I can see her deteriorating already, from running with the drag to not moving now.....still happy to eat and drink the lazy so n so....when I supply it.....

Sorry to read this about your lovely girl. All the best tomorrow at the vets x

My 8 year old had a tumour growing on his back leg also, it got to the point he was only walking when necessary, but he could still walk. Is the tumour sticking out i.e. noticeable ? Hoover's was clearly showing and he also had one on his back. At 8 I didnt want to risk an operation, he hated the vets and it wouldnt be a peaceful end for him personally as he would have wanted to be with me as I gained his trust he had lost in humans, but I can see why you would do it.

I am not trying to scare you but the decision has to be made quick if its anything like Hoover's as my vet did say it could grow (and it was, rapidly) and actually break his leg which would cause excruciating pain for him. We gave him 1 week of bliss (treats I previously restricted, crazy amount of hay etc) and then had him PTS, it was luckily just in time as it was very close to hurting him badly.

Sorry if they are graphic but this is Hoovers tumour after he was pts, his bum is yellow as obviously he was sitting in his pee alot in the end :( I took the pics to help people with similar issues...

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

Well having spoken to the vet this morning Gizzy is now in for an operation....we're not sure if she'll survive but at least she'd drift away....the Vet talked it over with me, today the Vet can see more use of the leg and better movement, he also says the tumour appears fully encapsulated so he's willing to try since Gizz is only 5 and is still eating and drinking like a horse, although if its attached to the skin then there's not much hope.....but at least she'd just drift away and not be in pain......8...

The tumour is in her leg just like your Hoover (the nurse thought it looked in her tummy, and so did I from the x-ray) ....if she survives the problem is whatever triggered the tumour is still there and another pops up.......fingers crossed for a nice phonecall.......:...

Last edited:
The tumour was too large and fibrous on the inside of Gizzy's knee, she was pts at 13.10 today......words fail me, it was so quick....

oh my gosh, i am so very sorry, you must be traumatised.

You know you did what you could, so just think about that, poor little thing x

thinking of you x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back