1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Drinking Much

Discussion in 'Food' started by orangeinepig, Jan 10, 2017.

1. orangeinepig

orangeinepig Junior Guinea Pig

I didn't feel like this would go under illnesses as I don't think my guinea pig Popcorn is ill but she seems to barely drink anything, but could this be due to the fact that all her veggies are still covered in water from when they have been washed and on a daily basis she has romaine lettuce, cucumber, pepper, carrot and parsnip (everyday because it's winter and she is by herself.)

2. acapae

acapae Junior Guinea Pig

Lettuce, cucumber and peppers have a fairly high water content, so it could be down to that. Certainly my two don't drink very much, especially not compared to the "drink loads for their size compared to other rodents" I was warned about.

But equally do check that the water bottle is working properly (sometimes when you refill them the vacuum created does need a fair amount of force to break - I always push the ball bearing a few times to check water is coming out), and that it's at a suitable height for her to use.

orangeinepig likes this.
  3. PiggySlave<3

PiggySlave<3 Junior Guinea Pig

My guineas had to start off drinking or a bowl. Or maybe.... If your piggies eat stuff like Apple and cucumber may not be thirsty as the cucumber juice will stop them from drinking water :)

orangeinepig likes this.
  4. orangeinepig

My guinea pig has always drank from a bottle ever since I got her two years ago but yeah I thought maybe the cucumber could be the reason

5. PiggySlave<3

My guineas don't drink much water because every time they eat they have cucumber. But if you don't have cucumber then I would make sure they have water...
    Also just incase you want to try it out my guinea love bamboo....:)

IMG_20170110_141911.jpg

Kylie80, acapae and orangeinepig like this.
  6. PiggySlave<3

A little photo of my girls eating bamboo earlier today...:)

7. orangeinepig

I love your herd! I also didn't know guinea pigs could eat bamboo so that's cool to know and yeah everyday I make sure she has a lot of cucumber and her water is changed on a daily basis.

8. Kylie80

Kylie80 Junior Guinea Pig

My girls hardly ever drink water from the bottle. I freaked out they were going to dehydrate and die at first but they never looked ill. They have Cucumber twice a day at the moment on top of their normal veg because it is super hot here. I noticed a couple of days ago they used the water bottle alot because it was so hot and we had the air con on so at least they know how to use it.