• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not drinking water in new cage

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Edward and Elizabeth moved in to a new cage on Thursday. Due to the design of the cage, I’ve had to put the water bottles on the end of the cage rather than the middle where it was on their old cage. They haven’t touched their water since being in the new cage. Should I be worried or will they find the water bottles when they need it?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Edward and Elizabeth moved in to a new cage on Thursday. Due to the design of the cage, I’ve had to put the water bottles on the end of the cage rather than the middle where it was on their old cage. They haven’t touched their water since being in the new cage. Should I be worried or will they find the water bottles when they need it?
I would spread the bottles around and put one near the place they are used to them. if they are really worried, they will find them. Anyway, during a change of territory it pays not to clean things like bottles spouts etc. so they smell familiar and safe and are easier to find.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would spread the bottles around and put one near the place they are used to them. if they are really worried, they will find them. Anyway, during a change of territory it pays not to clean things like bottles spouts etc. so they smell familiar and safe and are easier to find.
They’re new bottles and I can’t put them in the same place they were before as the cage opens outwards where the water bottles were before but I shall spread them out and have one on opposite ends of the cage :)

D

DMS260820

They will find it, mine get a water bottle in a random place every time on floor time, and after eating pellets I actively see them trying to find the bottle. Feed some pellets to give them dry mouth and srneif they can find it, if not offer it to their faces by hand with the bottle

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They’re new bottles and I can’t put them in the same place they were before as the cage opens outwards where the water bottles were before but I shall spread them out and have one on opposite ends of the cage :)
They will find the bottles but it is generally a bit easier when you change bottles or even bedding (especially with boars) a couple of days laters to keep the familiar smells around while they settle into their new home. ;)

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They will find the bottles but it is generally a bit easier when you change bottles or even bedding (especially with boars) a couple of days laters to keep the familiar smells around while they settle into their new home. ;)
Thank you. I did transfer a bit of dirty hay from their old cage in to their new cage :)

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They will find it, mine get a water bottle in a random place every time on floor time, and after eating pellets I actively see them trying to find the bottle. Feed some pellets to give them dry mouth and srneif they can find it, if not offer it to their faces by hand with the bottle
I’m glad they’ll find it :)