Not drinking water

Olivia Glover

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I've had my guinea pigs over a month now. They are settling in slowly and they are eating their veg and food. I am a little concerned though as the water bottle or the water bowl has gone down. I have checked the bottles to make sure they are working and they are. I dont seem to see them drink at all. Should I mention this at the vets tomorrow when they get their nails clipped and have their checkup? Should I be worried?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I've had my guinea pigs over a month now. They are settling in slowly and they are eating their veg and food. I am a little concerned though as the water bottle or the water bowl has gone down. I have checked the bottles to make sure they are working and they are. I dont seem to see them drink at all. Should I mention this at the vets tomorrow when they get their nails clipped and have their checkup? Should I be worried?
Hi!

Bottle drinking is something that guinea pigs have to learn; it is not instinctive. It also depends on how much veg you feed - the more you feed, the less need of water your piggies will have. Water intake also varies massively individually. You can't make piggies drink more than they need.

Please take the time to read our Drinking guide: All About Drinking And Bottles
Here is our diet guide, which looks at all food groups: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Olivia Glover

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Bottle drinking is something that guinea pigs have to learn; it is not instinctive. It also depends on how much veg you feed - the more you feed, the less need of water your piggies will have. Water intake also varies massively individually. You can't make piggies drink more than they need.

Please take the time to read our Drinking guide: All About Drinking And Bottles
Here is our diet guide, which looks at all food groups: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Thank you, I give them 50g of veg each day which is devided in the morning and evening. I also give them pellets

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you, I give them 50g of veg each day which is devided in the morning and evening. I also give them pellets
Do they have constant access to hay in large quantities? Both veg and pellets (kept limited to just one tablespoon per day and not left with them constantly) are merely snacks and not their main food source

Just ensure their water is always fresh but don’t worry, they will drink when and the amount they need to.
My piggies don’t seem drink much either.

Olivia Glover

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Do they have constant access to hay in large quantities? Both veg and pellets (kept limited to just one tablespoon per day and not left with them constantly) are merely snacks and not their main food source

Just ensure their water is always fresh but don’t worry, they will drink when and the amount they need to.
My piggies don’t seem drink much either.
Hi, yes they always have access to hay. Their veg is only 50g per day which is split twice a day. I feed them pellets once a day also. They always have fresh water and the bottles are working

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, yes they always have access to hay. Their veg is only 50g per day which is split twice a day. I feed them pellets once a day also. They always have fresh water and the bottles are working
Please read our hot weather care advice but you can get piggies that won't drink and others that can empty a bottle in a day - and both can be normal. Make sure that the water is being kept cool at all times in hot weather.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Olivia Glover

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please read our hot weather care advice but you can get piggies that won't drink and others that can empty a bottle in a day - and both can be normal. Make sure that the water is being kept cool at all times in hot weather.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Hi, I've spoken to the vet and he said they are very healthy and not dehydrated and that they are drinking, but because they are small animals its hard to notice on a day to day basis x

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi, I've spoken to the vet and he said they are very healthy and not dehydrated and that they are drinking, but because they are small animals its hard to notice on a day to day basis x
Yes absolutely. If they hadn’t drunk anything at all then they would be visibly poorly. You don’t need to worry.
My two are only ever at the bottle fo a couple of seconds, only about a mouthful of water is taken at a time. It’s far too small of an amount to see any change in the water level.

Zanzan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had my pig Hunca Munca for over six years and I never saw her drinking from the bottle once. She seemed to get all the water she needed from her veg and was healthy all of her life. It was the fact that she suddenly started drinking after six years that told me she was unwell near the end of her life.