• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not eating grits

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sallyb

Hi, Nana's stopped going to bed when the cold weather started, so I put in extra hay and kept an eye on him. Then he stopped eating his pellet food, I've tried other kinds, but he only has a very small amount, and he is only eating half his veggies too. The vet treated him for mites, and he is a lot perkier, and is going to bed early and getting up late now its cold, which is good. But should I be worried about his appetite? Can he survive on Timothy Hay and a small amount of veggies twice a day? He's about six.

D

DebbieR

Any pig that changes his eating habits would worry me to be honest. My George is very poorly because I didn't pick up on his change in eating soon enough. It turned out to be a problem with his teeth.

S

sallyb

Hi Debbie, thanks for such a quick response. The vet checked his teeth and couldnt see anything amiss. How old is elderly for a guinea pit?

D

DebbieR

I know this sounds like a daft question, but did the vet check his back teeth? Some don't you know.

Guineas are expected to live for 5 to 9 years I think. So nana is cracking on a bit.

S

sallyb

The vet tried to, but Nanas kept trying to eat the instrument the vet was poking in this mouth! Will keep an eye on him and prob take him back to vet tomorrow to double check. Thank you, and love to yours

D

DebbieR

Can you get to the CCT? Or ring Vedra and see if there is a rodentologist in your area or nearby? They will be able to get a good look at the teeth properly

Status
Not open for further replies.