Not rodents!

Sgboyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just ran into multiple articles stating cavies are a species of mammal call lagomorphs. Similar to rodents but not rodents at all.

Now I have even more reasons to yell at people who call my babies rats.

Sweet Potato

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pretty sure Guinea pigs are rodents. Lagamorphes are more like rabbits. Not sure what the scientific definition is as I always thought rodents were mammals with continuously growing teeth but so are lagamorphes.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Pretty sure Guinea pigs are rodents. Lagamorphes are more like rabbits. Not sure what the scientific definition is as I always thought rodents were mammals with continuously growing teeth but so are lagamorphes.
Yes they do both have continuously growing teeth but I believe the difference between lagomorphs (rabbits) and guinea pigs (rodents) is jaw structure and number of teeth

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There is some scientific debate as to whether guinea pigs should be classed as rodents or whether they should receive a separate, related family, similar to lagomorphs (rabbits.) As of right now, I they are still classed as rodents, but there are arguments on both sides.

Personally I love rodents and think they have a bad reputation... I've had various rodents as pets since I was a kid and the only drawback is the short lifespan for many species. Right now we have guinea pigs and Syrian hamsters and I love them both!

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with rodents! I adore rats and constantly tempted to get more but still a bit heartbroken from when my last four died.

View attachment 167307
Adorable! I do love animals with red eyes! My first pet mouse as a small child was grey with red eyes and a white blaze up her nose. I still have a soft spot for her in my heart!

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Class Mammalia
Order Rodentia
Sub-order Hystricomorpha
Family Caviidae

Apparently there was a bit of controversy in the 1990s with some scientists arguing that some DNA sequence data would make more evolutionary sense if Caviidae were not classed as rodents. Then many other scientists since then did more extensive DNA analysis and found extremely rodent-specific DNA sequences in piggies that along with their anatomy confirms they are indeed rodents.

Sweet Potato

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Are there any other animals in the cavide family? What about in the hystricomorphia sub-group? I find this stuff fascinating despite being completely clueless on the subject.

Sgboyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It was something about the skull that brought them into lagomorph land. I'm at work atm. Let me look when I get off work. I stumbled on it then got pulled down the google trail so I found quite a few articles on it.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with rodents! I adore rats and constantly tempted to get more but still a bit heartbroken from when my last four died.

View attachment 167307
Beautiful! :love::love: I love them but no more for me after my boys either (well no planned ones, probably couldn’t say no if someone asked me for emergency ratty housing! :doh:), they’re little heartbreakers!