• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not sure what is wrong

marisa_nicole19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first time posting here. This forum has helped me out a lot since I became a guinea mom last year so I'm hoping it will help again! My Petey is about 10 months old. Back in September last year he had a head tilt to the right so I rushed him to the vet knowing it could he an ear infection. They didn't see anything wrong but prescribed him Baytril just in case. He was fine the next day like nothing happened. We continued his medicine for the whole 7 days.

Then again on December 30th last year he was head tilting again to the right. Lethargic and not himself but still eating and drinking. He looked miserable. The vet prescribed him Trimethorprim-sulfa twice a day for 10 days. Once again the next day it was like nothing ever happened but we kept on with the medicine.

On January 8th this year same thing head tilting to the right and acting miserable. Back to the vet and 14 more days of the same medicine twice a day. She checked him over and said he looked like an absolutely healthy pig, even his ears. The next day he was totally fine. Yesterday (1/20) and today he is head tilting to the left now. Hes still munching on hay and drinking water but he looks absolutely miserable. I haven't stopped giving him his medicine at all but it definitely doesn't seem to be helping. Has anyone experienced these on and off symptoms? Is this just an ear infection or something more? He has another vet appointment on the 25th for an xray of his head, but the mama in me is worried about him until then. Thanks!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first time posting here. This forum has helped me out a lot since I became a guinea mom last year so I'm hoping it will help again! My Petey is about 10 months old. Back in September last year he had a head tilt to the right so I rushed him to the vet knowing it could he an ear infection. They didn't see anything wrong but prescribed him Baytril just in case. He was fine the next day like nothing happened. We continued his medicine for the whole 7 days.

Then again on December 30th last year he was head tilting again to the right. Lethargic and not himself but still eating and drinking. He looked miserable. The vet prescribed him Trimethorprim-sulfa twice a day for 10 days. Once again the next day it was like nothing ever happened but we kept on with the medicine.

On January 8th this year same thing head tilting to the right and acting miserable. Back to the vet and 14 more days of the same medicine twice a day. She checked him over and said he looked like an absolutely healthy pig, even his ears. The next day he was totally fine. Yesterday (1/20) and today he is head tilting to the left now. Hes still munching on hay and drinking water but he looks absolutely miserable. I haven't stopped giving him his medicine at all but it definitely doesn't seem to be helping. Has anyone experienced these on and off symptoms? Is this just an ear infection or something more? He has another vet appointment on the 25th for an xray of his head, but the mama in me is worried about him until then. Thanks!
Hi!

Could you please help us with some further background information:
- Are you keeping rabbits or have rabbits close by (risk of e.cuniculi transmission) ?
- Has your vet checked for blindness or neurological issue?

Please step in with weighing daily at the same time instead of the usual weekly weigh-in and body check and start support feeding if necessary. You can find all the information in our one stop Emergency Care guide: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As he is unwell at the moment, the first step is to start weighing him daily at the same time. If he’s losing weight then he’s not eating enough hay. In that case you’d have to top him up with syringe feeds.

marisa_nicole19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Could you please help us with some further background information:
- Are you keeping rabbits or have rabbits close by (risk of e.cuniculi transmission) ?
- Has your vet checked for blindness or neurological issue?

Please step in with weighing daily at the same time instead of the usual weekly weigh-in and body check and start support feeding if necessary. You can find all the information in our one stop Emergency Care guide: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Thank you for the guide! I'll ask the vet if it could be a neurological issue. She did check for blindness and said he can definitely see. He is the only pet in the house and he hasn't been around any other animals. So far it looks like he's maintaining his weight. He gets Oxbow hay and pellets as well as romaine lettuce everyday and a baby carrot once every few days. Sometimes broccoli too. Hes not near any drafts or doors or windows either