• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not Sure What To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pig crazy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi everyone, I've not been on here for a while and I just came back as I have a few concerns I have 3 Guinea pigs my male who is 2and a half / 3 who seems fine, a good weight no health problems that come across. My two girls live together and are about 2 one seems an okay weight again but the other seems extremely thin under all the fir. They live outside and are in the garage at the moment under lots of covers as it is cold. They have never been to the vets. Would you advise me to take them along for a check up to make sure everything is okay? I plan on washing them as the white one especially is very dirty and I will keep them inside for a couple days to dry and then take them to the vets? As then I will be able to see gow thin they are. I'm just asking advice really as to whether you think it would be necessary to take them all to the vets for a checkup or just see how thin she actually is. She eats a lot and I can't feel any lumps etc just Bony . Thankyou for reading this jumbled up post.

hi everyone, I've not been on here for a while and I just came back as I have a few concerns I have 3 Guinea pigs my male who is 2and a half / 3 who seems fine, a good weight no health problems that come across. My two girls live together and are about 2 one seems an okay weight again but the other seems extremely thin under all the fir. They live outside and are in the garage at the moment under lots of covers as it is cold. They have never been to the vets. Would you advise me to take them along for a check up to make sure everything is okay? I plan on washing them as the white one especially is very dirty and I will keep them inside for a couple days to dry and then take them to the vets? As then I will be able to see gow thin they are. I'm just asking advice really as to whether you think it would be necessary to take them all to the vets for a checkup or just see how thin she actually is. She eats a lot and I can't feel any lumps etc just Bony . Thankyou for reading this jumbled up post.

Please have your girls seen promptly. Any major weight loss needs to be seen as soon as you notice it. Ideally you weigh your guinea pigs once weekly together with a body check-up to monitor their health and be able to see a vet quickly, so any issues haven't got a chance to get really bad. Have her seen tomorrow if possible, the sooner the better.

Please make sure that your thin girl is getting extra warmth during cold nights and days.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

Start syringe feeding and watering her asap to keep the guts going, which is vital with guinea pigs. Our detailed syringe feeding guide (use a spoon if you haven't got a syringe) also has got tips on what you can do with what you have at home or easily available. Your round the clock care can really make all the difference - it cannot heal, but it can keep alive.Guinea pigs are small animals, and they can go downhill frighteningly quickly.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
Guinea Pig Vet Locator

Please have your girls seen promptly. Any major weight loss needs to be seen as soon as you notice it. Ideally you weigh your guinea pigs once weekly together with a body check-up to monitor their health and be able to see a vet quickly, so any issues haven't got a chance to get really bad. Have her seen tomorrow if possible, the sooner the better.

Please make sure that your thin girl is getting extra warmth during cold nights and days.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

Start syringe feeding and watering her asap to keep the guts going, which is vital with guinea pigs. Our detailed syringe feeding guide (use a spoon if you haven't got a syringe) also has got tips on what you can do with what you have at home or easily available. Your round the clock care can really make all the difference - it cannot heal, but it can keep alive.Guinea pigs are small animals, and they can go downhill frighteningly quickly.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
Guinea Pig Vet Locator
Okay Thankyou I will take them all soon, she's eating fine so I presume I wouldn't need to syringe feed? She eats loads. If I put her out she eats grass, she eats burgess nuggets, carrot, broccoli loads of hay etc. I'm not sure why she's so thin :( and yes I'm definately keeping them warm they have straw and tarpaulins to cover their hutches :) Thankyou very much. I tried to keep them inside but since I am not there all week I did 2 full clean outs 3 days apart and the smell was too much, do you know any way to reduce it?

Okay Thankyou I will take them all soon, she's eating fine so I presume I wouldn't need to syringe feed? She eats loads. If I put her out she eats grass, she eats burgess nuggets, carrot, broccoli loads of hay etc. I'm not sure why she's so thin :( and yes I'm definately keeping them warm they have straw and tarpaulins to cover their hutches :) Thankyou very much. I tried to keep them inside but since I am not there all week I did 2 full clean outs 3 days apart and the smell was too much, do you know any way to reduce it?

Loss of weight can have so many reasons from mere bullying to serious illness. That is why you need to see a vet and please do not put it off for too long.
You also need to still weigh daily at the same time. With some issues, a guinea pig can eat, but still lose weight.

Loss of weight can have so many reasons from mere bullying to serious illness. That is why you need to see a vet and please do not put it off for too long.
You also need to still weigh daily at the same time. With some issues, a guinea pig can eat, but still lose weight.
Okay Thankyou very much, I will weigh at the weekend as I won't be back till then and then go to the vets :) thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back