• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Now it’s raining! Do piggies like it?!?

Sw75

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, our little girl piggies are 5m old and having fretted over them during the heat wave, we now have the new challenge of rain - what do you do about letting yours out to graze on their run when it rains? I’m thinking as well, going into autumn, this is going to be more frequent. Also, do you do anything about the splashback of rain I to their hutch and how to deal with the slugs which keep creeping in? Thanks in advance

Mine don’t come out when it’s raining or if it has been raining and the ground is still even in the slightest bit wet. They need to be kept dry and warm. Any splashing from rain into their hutch needs to be stopped by using a hutch cover.
Slugs - use copper tape around the legs of their hutch, slugs and snails don’t like it and won’t climb it. You could make a protective moat around their hutch of a product which slugs and snails don’t like - wool pellets, salt, crushed egg shells....all of those things need to be replaced after rain though.

Pigs don’t like the rain and shouldn’t be put on wet grass. Splash back: hutch covers deal with that. Your hutch should be on legs and risen as much as possible to help with the incoming weather such as snow.
If you haven’t already, consider the winter period with thermal covers, heat pads, fleece houses etc, lighting....

Pigs don’t like the rain and shouldn’t be put on wet grass. Splash back: hutch covers deal with that. Your hutch should be on legs and risen as much as possible to help with the incoming weather such as snow.
If you haven’t already, consider the winter period with thermal covers, heat pads, fleece houses etc, lighting....

I’ve bought a thermal cover already but lighting?

Mine don't mind a bit of rain and I sometimes let them out on the grass with a plastic cover over their run and they're fine.
As for the hutch, we have some super thick plastic permanently fastened on top of the hutch that folds back until needed! It's perfect for keeping out rain/snow/wind etc and under that we hang fleecy blankets, duvets etc when it's cold in the winter (also snuggle safes are amazing) xx

As many people have said, guinea pigs don't like the rain.
Besides that, when it comes close to autumn and winter I notice that a lot of bugs try to get into the hutch too.
I brought a hutch with legs that are reasonably normal height. Even though I did that, I could still see that slugs and spiders were going into the bottom half of the hutch (my guinea pigs mainly use the top as they are scared to go to the bottom) As weird as this sound, I put socks on the legs and clipped the cover to the hutch. I notice a massive decrease of slugs and spiders, but I am paranoid so I wanted to make sure they wouldn't come back. I put pellets down near the hutch. I also made sure that the grass or the hutch didn't get contaminated with the pellets or any slugs that has eaten the pellets.
Anyway, good luck! x

Bill and Ted have never been bothered by a bit of rain. They go out into their run most days, it has a small wooden house and has a weatherproof cover that hooks on over the run itself. The weather is rarely that cold down in Cornwall, although we did get two days of snow last year, the first time in 6 years! Never had a problem with slugs, I only feed them pellets in their inside cage. Just give them lots of hay when outside and of course they eat plenty of grass.

They sometimes get spooked by the wind. I think it's the movement of the trees and shrubs they don't like. They seem very short sighted. They always come inside at night, too many cats around here!

I’ve bought a thermal cover already but lighting?
Yep, the reason being, when it's in the dead of winter, and whilst I have outdoor lighting which is quite bright, however when you need to see inside it when they are burrowed and hiding within their hay, I used the LED battery stick on lights. I have one on the ceiling, one on the wall in their main part and then one inside their bedroom area. As they aren't on for very long, the batteries do last. As they are the easy press on ones, no faffing with electrics etc. They work quite well.
I just had a quick look through to see if I could fine a photo that I posted once.

Back