• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Now plaza 160 is to small ?

*Meg*

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Apparently the plaza 160 cage is now to small? Is this true ?

It would depend how many guinea pigs are living in it and what sex they are. If that cage has 10 square feet of space then it should be okay for a maximum of two sows but might be a bit small for two boars.

:agr: A 160 x 60cm cage (which is just over 5ft x 2ft) should be ok for two sows. Could be pushing it for two boars though.

Going by the RSPCA guidelines this size cage is suitable for 3 sows. However the forum recommends 2 piggies for this size cage just because extra space is a bonus and can help keep tensions down during dominance debates

I have the plaza 160 for my 2 boars and have bought an extra ferplast 100 to add to it as I feel it is slightly small for them. Don’t get me wrong they’d be fine in it but they’re spoiled and I’d like to give them as much space as I can.
It’s a little narrow like most commercial cages, if it wasn’t for a troublesome toddler we’d consider c&c. Maybe in the future.

I have the plaza 160 for my 2 boars and have bought an extra ferplast 100 to add to it as I feel it is slightly small for them. Don’t get me wrong they’d be fine in it but they’re spoiled and I’d like to give them as much space as I can.
It’s a little narrow like most commercial cages, if it wasn’t for a troublesome toddler we’d consider c&c. Maybe in the future.
Incase you didn't know, you can make lids for the c and c, that open and close still 🙂

Attachments

• F761397C-3961-4E95-B2B3-3F802244DC0A.jpeg
    F761397C-3961-4E95-B2B3-3F802244DC0A.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 69
Being a hamster person, I know myself from tons of experience that cages tend to slope towards the bottom (this is to conserve space during shipping and the aesthetics). Perhaps it’s one of those cases where everyone assumed it was ok until they actually looked into it?
Either way, I wouldn’t get too caught up in the numbers. If your piggies have enough space for zoomies and hides and all they need to thrive, I wouldn’t sweat it :)

The sloping in of the sides is an issue with some commercial cages but the plaza (and in fact the krolik which the screenshot mentions) doesn’t seem to slope in like many others do which is better from the point of view of internal measurements. Obviously bigger is always better but I wouldn’t consider the plaza to be too small. The rspca cage size recommendations, I’m assuming, is referring to the external measurements when they say the smallest recommended size for two piggies is 120cm x 60cm.

I have just edited my post as I have just seen that the product measurements of the krolik and plaza are the same at 162 x 60cm (externally) so would presumably be very similar internally (unless there is a more pronounced slope in the bottom of the plaza, but it doesn’t look like it from the pictures), so it’s rather confusing from the screenshot why one would be considered too small but the other not.....

Last edited:
Ah ok. They all seem fine to me and as you can see I can't exactly fit anything bigger in this space!
I personally think this cage looks big enough but it’s so confusing all the conflicting information on cages x I love the colour of the cage the big doors and the separate area at the end x your cage looks amazing x

Being a hamster person, I know myself from tons of experience that cages tend to slope towards the bottom (this is to conserve space during shipping and the aesthetics). Perhaps it’s one of those cases where everyone assumed it was ok until they actually looked into it?
Either way, I wouldn’t get too caught up in the numbers. If your piggies have enough space for zoomies and hides and all they need to thrive, I wouldn’t sweat it :)
Yep totally agree with you 🙂 I have my hamsters in Alaska cages x

My boys Bill and Ted have the Plaza 160 and it’s a brilliant cage. It’s straight sided so no sloping inward. At the end of the day most good owners will try and give their pets the most space they possibly can.
Some of these dreadful small cages advertised are so small at 60/80 cm are horrendous and should not be allowed into the country for sale here. There seems to be loads on eBay, some with mesh floors, dreadful!

The 160 cage is one we reccomend at the rescue for pairs. However some very dominant boys need a bigger area and we always advise if this is the case.

(below are my personal thoughts and nothing to do with the rescue)
Realistically though if people say the 160 cage is too small for a pair no piggies would be rehomed from rescues as unfortunately most people don't have whole rooms to give to their piggies. The 160 is a good cage in my personal opinion, its bigger than the pet stores sell. As long as the piggies have a decent amount of space and are loved and cared for that's most important to me.

The 160 cage is one we reccomend at the rescue for pairs. However some very dominant boys need a bigger area and we always advise if this is the case.

(below are my personal thoughts and nothing to do with the rescue)
Realistically though if people say the 160 cage is too small for a pair no piggies would be rehomed from rescues as unfortunately most people don't have whole rooms to give to their piggies. The 160 is a good cage in my personal opinion, its bigger than the pet stores sell. As long as the piggies have a decent amount of space and are loved and cared for that's most important to me.
I couldn’t agree with you more. I would love to have a large C&C cage but the reality is small grandchildren and small bungalow! As long as they are well cared for, have a good sized cage and get chance to have a run around on grass or inside then that’s the most important thing

I personally think this cage looks big enough but it’s so confusing all the conflicting information on cages x I love the colour of the cage the big doors and the separate area at the end x your cage looks amazing x

Thanks they love it! A bit off topic but do people here switch the set up of the hideys every clean out day for enrichment? Or does everything go back In the same place?

Back