• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Oats

Reggie&Chunk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have a poorly pig who is off food altogether and I am syringe feeding mushed pellets/critical care. He enjoys oats but at the minute won’t eat them as they are. Is it possible to wet them as they are quite fine and syringe feed them too?

It is something i've done, although it did clog up the syringe a bit! But it went down well :)

It is something i've done, although it did clog up the syringe a bit! But it went down well :)

As long as it’s safe, I’m happy to battle with the syringe! My Chunk has lost a third of his normal body weight and want to try and get some weight back on him if possible!

Yes, you can add a little warm water to the oats for him, it’s calorific so will be ok for him

As long as it’s safe, I’m happy to battle with the syringe! My Chunk has lost a third of his normal body weight and want to try and get some weight back on him if possible!

Bless him! I find a combo of the fine grind version of critical care and burgess dual care really good for getting weight back onto them. The fine grind is meant for tube feeding so you can mix it thicker/give less in volume while getting more nutrition into them and the burgess stuff is a really high calorie pellet especially for sick piggies that is extremely palatable, but can also be made into a syringe feed. I find it really helpful for getting them eating by themselves again :)

I hope little Chunk is back to his old self soon!

Have you tried Emeraid? @Reggie&Chunk I have some here still in date (I opened it in August and it says to use within 6 months of opening) I can send you if you would like me to. PM me your address and I'll post it off to you. You don't need to give much to have a full piggy. Betsy took about 4 1ml syringes max of Emeraid but would take about 9 1ml syringes of mushed up pellets.

Bless him! I find a combo of the fine grind version of critical care and burgess dual care really good for getting weight back onto them. The fine grind is meant for tube feeding so you can mix it thicker/give less in volume while getting more nutrition into them and the burgess stuff is a really high calorie pellet especially for sick piggies that is extremely palatable, but can also be made into a syringe feed. I find it really helpful for getting them eating by themselves again :)

I hope little Chunk is back to his old self soon!

Thank you so much for that, I’ll have a look into them :) he has dropped from 1300g to 950g and he is so skinny from not eating solid food :(

Have you tried Emeraid? @Reggie&Chunk I have some here still in date (I opened it in August and it says to use within 6 months of opening) I can send you if you would like me to. PM me your address and I'll post it off to you. You don't need to give much to have a full piggy. Betsy took about 4 1ml syringes max of Emeraid but would take about 9 1ml syringes of mushed up pellets.

Are you sure? I don’t want to take it off you if you might need it! Just managed to get 15ml of Burgess excel pellet mush mixed with critical care but he really isn’t keen on the critical care.

Are you sure? I don’t want to take it off you if you might need it! Just managed to get 15ml of Burgess excel pellet mush mixed with critical care but he really isn’t keen on the critical care.

Yep I'm positive. You can have it.

Oats mixed with warm water goes down a great just from a saucer. Hopefully you won't need to syringe it. It's great for putting on weight. Good luck.

Back