Occasional honking

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Noticing Bruno has done a handful of honks tonight, if it continues would he be ok until tomorrow (Wednesday) for the vet? Haven’t heard him doing this kind of noise before, it has been like 5 times in half an hour all separate honks, he seems fine apart from that

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I noticed Dennis was honking when I picked him up from my Boarders a few weeks ago. It wasn't very loud so she hadn't noticed. I took him to the vet the next day. I would think that Bruno would be OK. Just make an appointment as soon as your vets open in the morning. Hope he's OK.

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven’t heard any honks at all since, does anyone think it may have been a one off honking spree? Been awake the entire time since

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It's just as well to get it checked out. The vet said that as Dennis didn't appear to have a URI I was to give him Metacam for 5 days as he thought that Dennis's lungs were just inflamed. I did this and the grunting/honking disappeared only to come back a few days later, so I gave Dennis Metacam for 7 days thinking that maybe 5 days wasn't quite enough. The grunting came back so he is now on Baytril which he entirely (not) thrilled about! He does enjoy the melon skin immediately afterwards though.

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's just as well to get it checked out. The vet said that as Dennis didn't appear to have a URI I was to give him Metacam for 5 days as he thought that Dennis's lungs were just inflamed. I did this and the grunting/honking disappeared only to come back a few days later, so I gave Dennis Metacam for 7 days thinking that maybe 5 days wasn't quite enough. The grunting came back so he is now on Baytril which he entirely (not) thrilled about! He does enjoy the melon skin immediately afterwards though.
awwww lovely Dennis! Bruno will be over there soon to share his melon skin :) he honked as I’m writing this as well bless him. It will most likely be baytril as well for Bruno, he’s also the flailing pig of the two so it’s going to be a trying week for us both

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hope he's ok. I'm worried I may have to take lollies to the vet. I touched her ear last night and sche squeek, pulled away and shook her head. She did it a couple then stopped. Gonna watch her tonight

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to prevent future illness? The vet last time said it’s the temperature changes but inconsiderate family members are always leaving windows open and stuff like that no matter how much I try to tell them etc

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don't know. This is the first time any of my piggies have had a URI and they used to live outside all year.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
URIs are usually bacterial, so unless the piggies get cold enough to stress their immune system (not likely indoors with an open window) a cold wet draft or hot dry radiator might make existing symptoms worse, but wont cause a URI or cure it if the draft stops! That's like olden days thinking about wearing a vest stops you catching a seasonal cold or flu virus- nothing in it really. If its a URI then its like when hoomans get a strep throat/tonsillitis, you just get it because you are exposed to and susceptible to some particular bacteria in the air or on surfaces- no amount of cold drafts or warm vests will alter that! Probably a course of baytril from the vet will clear it right up, like some hoomans (me for example) some piggies (our Blodwen for example) are just more prone to picking up the few bad bacteria floating about and getting an infection from them x

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you! I’m guessing the vet wasn’t too piggy savvy then, he said if temperature changes continue to be bad my pigs will end up with a respiratory infection they won’t be able to treat. Been very paranoid and worried since then. Will keep the thread updated on my honking boy xx

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you! I’m guessing the vet wasn’t too piggy savvy then, he said if temperature changes continue to be bad my pigs will end up with a respiratory infection they won’t be able to treat. Been very paranoid and worried since then. Will keep the thread updated on my honking boy xx
Yes although I would usually respect a vets opinion, this one seems rather unscientific, like someone's old gran telling you if you dont put a coat on you'll catch your death of cold!
Extreme temperature fluctuations can be very stressful, such as bringing piggies suddenly indoors to 20 degrees after they are used to being outside at 10 degrees, that would cause physiological stress and affect their health so should be avoided- but I dont think a bit of fresh air from an open window for indoor piggies falls into that category, especially at the start of october...

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Been to the vet, she said she doesn’t hear anything alarming but we have baytril. Does 0.5ml twice a day seem ok? Never had to give either of them that much

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes that dose sounds fine, Blodwen had 0.5mls baytril twice a day for her honky URI, but when the URI came back after a few weeks she switched to 0.6mls sulfatrim.
Baytril would usually be the vet's first choice for treating any minor infection, just like a hooman would usually be prescribed penicillin/amoxycillin as a first option- safe, broad spectrum, effective for 80-90% of common infections!

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes that dose sounds fine, Blodwen had 0.5mls baytril twice a day for her honky URI, but when the URI came back after a few weeks she switched to 0.6mls sulfatrim.
Baytril would usually be the vet's first choice for treating any minor infection, just like a hooman would usually be prescribed penicillin/amoxycillin as a first option- safe, broad spectrum, effective for 80-90% of common infections!
thank you, she also said it could be temperature changes which is spiralling my mind again