• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Occasional pink/ red urine

Annie Robbins

Junior Guinea Pig
Hey everyone!

When changing the cage, I noticed a dark red urine spot on the puppy pee pad. The rest of the urine was yellow. I have noticed pink urine on the pee pad only once a month. The rest of the month everything is fine and yellow.

When I notice the red urine, I separate the three pigs to moniture who it is. When I separate, every one has normal urine........

No one is showing signs of pain either. Everyone is popcorning and running.

Due to the hurricane hitting the US, getting to the vets office is not an option for a bit because of the flooding.

I noticed this only happens when my pigs have a bite of banana. My mom feed them a banana recently without telling me.

Can bananas change their urine color?

Wiebke

Staff member
Hey everyone!

When changing the cage, I noticed a dark red urine spot on the puppy pee pad. The rest of the urine was yellow. I have noticed pink urine on the pee pad only once a month. The rest of the month everything is fine and yellow.

When I notice the red urine, I separate the three pigs to moniture who it is. When I separate, every one has normal urine........

No one is showing signs of pain either. Everyone is popcorning and running.

Due to the hurricane hitting the US, getting to the vets office is not an option for a bit because of the flooding.

I noticed this only happens when my pigs have a bite of banana. My mom feed them a banana recently without telling me.

Can bananas change their urine color?
Some veg can cause changes in urine colour. Please ask your mother not to feed banana anyway. Too much fruit in a guinea pig diet is not good for them! Ideally they should have hardly any fruit at all and only in very small quantities. Fresh herbs like cilantro (US)/coriander (UK) or parsley are much better!
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Blood in urine appears either as small red spots in a pool of yellow or rusty urine as it dries and oxidises. When there is a lot, it will dry as a red ring around a urine patch that is differently coloured. But it doesn't mix evenly with the urine when it dries.

Keep an eye on it for the time being. If you see spots or rings like I have described, then see a vet once you can safely get to one. As long as your piggy is not looking ill or is squeaking loudly or straining when pooing and peeing, you need not worry, but see a vet if you notice problems in that area, if you notice your piggy peeing intensely red fresh urine or if there is increased and very stale smelling urine. ;)
Guinea Lynx :: UTI