• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Occasional squeaks when peeing 3 year old sow

Viv52k

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sadly I've just lost my guinea pig Cali and now her sister seems to be squeaking every once and a while when she pees. I might be being paranoid, but I'm worried she may have bladder stones or sludge. After what just happened with her sister I'm so scared that somethings wrong with Lottie, I feel like I can't handle any of this right now. I'm monitoring her behaviour and weight to see if I really need to take her into the vet (not my favorite place right now after spending countless hours there and paying exorbitant amounts of fees for her Cali). In the mean time I was thinking of reducing the calcium and grain in her diet just as a precaution and was hoping for some suggestions. I've seen some talk about selective naturals grain free (grain free and low calcium) as well as KMS Hayloft (low calcium and good quality). Currently she's on a little less than 1/8 a cup of oxbow essentials adult guinea pig food, which has pretty good overall stats but I was thinking of mixing in a second pellet. She loves her Timothy hay but I'm thinking of introducing some orchard as well to entice her to eat more hay over pellets. I've also heard some mixed talk about oxbow urinary tract support tablets. What are your thoughts?

I’m sorry for your loss and I understand why you don’t want to visit the vets so soon after losing Cali but if Lottie is squeaking whilst urinating, she really does need to see a vet. It could be a simple uti that will clear up with a course of antibiotics but only a vet can diagnose and treat.

A lot of members feed grain free pellets and that won’t do any harm. You may also consider filtering the drinking water which a lot of members do. I use a brita water jug

Encouraging him to eat more hay over pellets is a good thing to do too

Sadly I've just lost my guinea pig Cali and now her sister seems to be squeaking every once and a while when she pees. I might be being paranoid, but I'm worried she may have bladder stones or sludge. After what just happened with her sister I'm so scared that somethings wrong with Lottie, I feel like I can't handle any of this right now. I'm monitoring her behaviour and weight to see if I really need to take her into the vet (not my favorite place right now after spending countless hours there and paying exorbitant amounts of fees for her Cali). In the mean time I was thinking of reducing the calcium and grain in her diet just as a precaution and was hoping for some suggestions. I've seen some talk about selective naturals grain free (grain free and low calcium) as well as KMS Hayloft (low calcium and good quality). Currently she's on a little less than 1/8 a cup of oxbow essentials adult guinea pig food, which has pretty good overall stats but I was thinking of mixing in a second pellet. She loves her Timothy hay but I'm thinking of introducing some orchard as well to entice her to eat more hay over pellets. I've also heard some mixed talk about oxbow urinary tract support tablets. What are your thoughts?

Hi!

It is more likely that she could be developing a urinary tract infection or a bacterial or non-bacterial antibiotic resistant cystitis as her immune system is lowered by the illness and loss of her sister. Keep in my that apart from eyesight guinea pigs have much finer senses than us humans and are very aware of the state of their loved ones.

Please follow the tips in our diet guide but you will have to see your vet for antibiotic if symptoms do firm up over the coming days as well as a feed whether the bladder is soft and relaxed or sore and hard.

Filtering the water and reducing the pellets to 15 ml (1 tablespoon or 1/8 cup) a day means that you are closing out the two areas where most calcium is actually coming into the diet if you worry about a stone.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I think I may have jumped the gun on this one due to some hyper vigilance. I've just witnessed Lottie pass a big wee without a peep come out of her. Due to the fact that she's a grieving pig who's a bit timid she will still be getting extra attention from me. I'm not completely ready to let my guard down about the pee situation so I'll keep the thread active for now. Other updates is I've introduced some orchard hay into her diet and she seems to love it!

I think I may have jumped the gun on this one due to some hyper vigilance. I've just witnessed Lottie pass a big wee without a peep come out of her. Due to the fact that she's a grieving pig who's a bit timid she will still be getting extra attention from me. I'm not completely ready to let my guard down about the pee situation so I'll keep the thread active for now. Other updates is I've introduced some orchard hay into her diet and she seems to love it!

It is completely normal to be jittery in the wake of a bad loss; I do get them, too - especially when you come up against a similar or the same issue again you lost a piggy to. :(

If it is a developing infection, symptoms are not at all consistent at the start of it. Some pees are squeaky, others not; some pees a intensely porphyrine red and some are clear (although either or neither can test free of or high on blood). It takes about 5-7 days to really get going. I've got a nice shelf full of those t-shirts in my cupboard! :mal:

But for your sake I sincerely hope that things are staying put!

Back