• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Odd hay

lucypigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just bought a new pack of hay and then I smelled it. It has a kind of sickly smell which isn't usual. Drove back to the store to mabye get a replacement, but the staff smelt it and said it smelled normal. So j went back home and fed some strands to the pigs and they ate it like usual. It may be a fresher cut of hay, but I am not sure. Any advice?15967234954888101803999652585088.jpg

Not sure to be honest. If it doesn’t smell mouldy it should be fine.

Hay really does vary in colour, smell and texture according to when it is cut in the year. But as long as it doesn't smell mouldy it is usually ok for the piggies.

Does it smell sickly sweet like honey? If so that is fine to give your piggies. It must be this years cut.

Does it smell sickly sweet like honey? If so that is fine to give your piggies. It must be this years cut.
Thank
Hay really does vary in colour, smell and texture according to when it is cut in the year. But as long as it doesn't smell mouldy it is usually ok for the piggies.
Um what does mould smell like?

trust me if it was off and mouldy you would smell it- its so bad! and the pigs would probably refuse to eat it! i took a bag back once and even the girl in the shop was like " OMG this STINKS ".....

trust me if it was off and mouldy you would smell it- its so bad! and the pigs would probably refuse to eat it! i took a bag back once and even the girl in the shop was like " OMG this STINKS ".....
Hm it smelled terrible to me but everyone else said it smelt fine....and the pigs ate it

Back