• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Odd Little Piggie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rache

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my two older boars, Coconut and Molasses, for almost a year. About 4 months ago I got a new little piglet, who is named Sir. Oinks-a-lot. Sir Oinks-a-lot was never (and still isn't) very affectionate with me. He doesn't seem to like being pet anywhere. When I take him out to cuddle, he often spends the whole time squeaking (not sure if he's complaining or just talking; if it was my older two I'd say complaining but since he never stops it's hard to say). And also, one thing I've never had a pig do. When he poops when he's being cuddled, he'll bend over and take it out with his teeth, but instead of eating it, he'll just drop it in front of him.

At first, everything was fine with him, Coconut, and Molasses. Then, when he was about 4 months old (he looked about a month old when I got him, so I'm guesstimating), he hit puberty and he started starting dominance fights, which I expected, only they never seemed to stop, even if whoever he was trying to start something with offered no resistance. When Molasses, the most timid of the three, came out of hiding less and less, started to lose weight, and somehow got a cut on his eyelid (which to be fair could have been caused by hay or by accident, but better safe than sorry), I knew I had to separate them.

Now, Sir Oinks-a-lot is alone. Their cages are right next to each other (I had combined the two cages at their openings so I just blocked the opening off) and they can see and talk to each other through the bars. Sir Oinks-a lot spends at least 99% of his time sitting looking through the bars at them, and Coconut at least (and sometimes Molasses) often enough sits next to him in their cage, like their hanging out. I can tell Sir Oinks-a-lot wants to be with them, but I've tried reintroducing them and, when I do, he still behaves aggressively towards them. I've already decided that, at least until he's done puberty, they need to stay this way for now.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a guinea pig who behaves this way. I love all of them dearly, but I don't think I've ever had a guinea pig who is quite like Sir Oinks-a-lot. I'm not looking for ways to change him; he's my baby and I love him warts and all. I just want to know how common his behavior is.

It sounds fairly normal for the hormonal stage though I haven't kept boar pairings before. Boar trios very rarely work out so you would be better taking him boar dating at a rescue so he can find his own mate to live with

Hi,

I've had my two older boars, Coconut and Molasses, for almost a year. About 4 months ago I got a new little piglet, who is named Sir. Oinks-a-lot. Sir Oinks-a-lot was never (and still isn't) very affectionate with me. He doesn't seem to like being pet anywhere. When I take him out to cuddle, he often spends the whole time squeaking (not sure if he's complaining or just talking; if it was my older two I'd say complaining but since he never stops it's hard to say). And also, one thing I've never had a pig do. When he poops when he's being cuddled, he'll bend over and take it out with his teeth, but instead of eating it, he'll just drop it in front of him.

At first, everything was fine with him, Coconut, and Molasses. Then, when he was about 4 months old (he looked about a month old when I got him, so I'm guesstimating), he hit puberty and he started starting dominance fights, which I expected, only they never seemed to stop, even if whoever he was trying to start something with offered no resistance. When Molasses, the most timid of the three, came out of hiding less and less, started to lose weight, and somehow got a cut on his eyelid (which to be fair could have been caused by hay or by accident, but better safe than sorry), I knew I had to separate them.

Now, Sir Oinks-a-lot is alone. Their cages are right next to each other (I had combined the two cages at their openings so I just blocked the opening off) and they can see and talk to each other through the bars. Sir Oinks-a lot spends at least 99% of his time sitting looking through the bars at them, and Coconut at least (and sometimes Molasses) often enough sits next to him in their cage, like their hanging out. I can tell Sir Oinks-a-lot wants to be with them, but I've tried reintroducing them and, when I do, he still behaves aggressively towards them. I've already decided that, at least until he's done puberty, they need to stay this way for now.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a guinea pig who behaves this way. I love all of them dearly, but I don't think I've ever had a guinea pig who is quite like Sir Oinks-a-lot. I'm not looking for ways to change him; he's my baby and I love him warts and all. I just want to know how common his behavior is.

Puberty lasts from about 4-14 months of age. The actual group/pair dynamics depends on how dominant/laid-back the individual personalities are. Trios with baby boars often don't work out; you are lucky that you haven't ended up with three single boars.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

By far not all guinea pigs like being cuddled or handled. Here are some guinea pig whispering tips on how you can build up a relationship in guinea pig body language. I would recommend to gently but firmly establish your dominance first, but mix that with telling him that you love him. Don't expect marvels and don;t expect him to become a master cuddler, though!
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Thank both of you! I appreciate the advice!

I also have a guinea pig who just doesn't like being cuddled - this came as a real shock to me after having 3 who are very snuggly.
Oreo will usually settle on my lap for less than 3 minutes before she starts squeaking and wandering around, and making it clear she does not want to be there.
She is still handled daily, but we are also respectful of the fat that she doesn't love lap time and we always put her back if she seems uncomfortable.
The other 3 will lay on our laps quite happily for an hour of more if we let them.

I also have 4 guinea pigs who are split into two groups.
They are separated by a grid, and one or more of them will often lay at the grid and look into the other cage.
They even lick each other through the bars (except for Ruby who just tries to bite everyone).
I have tried several times to get them all back together (they lived together for almost a year before they had to be split) and every time it starts well, and ends in a rapid separation when it is clear they will fight if left together.
I have now accepted that they work better as two pairs and that is how they will stay.
I won't keep putting them through the stress of repeated attempted bondings anymore.

I think Sir Oinks-a-lot needs a friend, and if you have the space I would consider trying to find someone for him to live with. If you have a local rescue they might be able to help bond him with another boar so he isn't on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back