• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

odd nails on one foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kelly

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen this posted before and just taken a look but can't find the thread so I may as well ask again.

Bea has clear nails but on her front left foot the nails have yellowed and seemed to be growing twisted as if they are curling round. Now I seem to have in my head that this is nothing to worry about but I need to make sure I cut them regularly but just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this and more importantly tell me if I'm wrong!

guinea pigs have different nail growths. some grow faster than others, and when they get long they need to be clipped so they dont curl. they can grow into the pads of the feet, which would be painful and cause infection.

they aren't that long but thanks, we clip them regularly its just they seem to be growing... ummm... maybe twisted is a better way to describe it. Will try and get a picture tomorrow and upload it to show the difference

they grow twisted from the root of the nail? thats interesting. is it preventing them from walking or popcorning properly? if they're in pain, then definitely see the vet. if they are moving ok i wouldnt worry about it, just as long as they're not too long :)

One of my piggies nail's grow very quickly and like you said sort of twisted and curled, I just ensure I cut them regularly and check them often. They don't cause him any pain, or prevent him for walk or popcorning trust me :)) out of interest is Bea an abby?

Bea is an aby (aby cross I think). We had to cut her nails about a week after we rescued her and have had to do them a few times in the 3 months they've been with us. She's not in pain at all, scampers around like normal. She doesn't popcorn all that much... kind of has a look as if she's above it (hence the queen bea nickname hehe) but she can't help herself when out in the run so I don't think its preventing her from doing anything. Will have a better look over the weekend when I'm not so shattered and decide whether she needs a vet although she has been to the vet twice since we've had her and they never showed concern over the nails

Mine's an abby too, I adopted him from a rescue in October last year and have done them quite a few times, I wondered if it has anything to do with their previous owners (being rescue piggies) perhaps they let them over grow too much and thats perhaps why they curl a bit now? none of my previous piggies have ever had nails that grow so quick and twist/curl. I might be putting two and two together and getting five though lol. Aslong as there not in pain and we trim them regularly I'm sure they'll be more than fine :(|)

how weird my suki is a Aby too and she is the only one with yellow twisted nails.. i try to cut them before they curl.. it doesnt stop her venturing out all the time and eating.. :))

Esther x

My Linney has twisty nails... they aren't yellowing (or it's hard to tell, as she has all dark nails anyhow) but they grow in a corkscrew shape. My vet said that some pigs just have nails that grow that way. It's not supposed to be harmful, but it makes them harder to cut that my other pig with the 'normal' nails.

She's not an aby, she's a sheltie cross so I guess it hits all breeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back