• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Off His Legs...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortheloveofpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,

I posted previously about my little boy's (3 years old) issues with cystitis. We had decided to stop opting for antibiotics and try Cystease instead which made an amzaing difference for around 1 month. He started getting a bit miserable and reclusive again about 2 weeks ago so we asked for some Metacam over the Xmas period. It helped a bit but he has been totally up and down - one day fine next day not good.

As of this morning he is suddenly having difficultly hoping in and out of his cage (he usually leaps with ease). Does anyone know why this might be? Surely he is too young to have arthritis? He doesnt seem to be injured and i think we would have noticed as his cage is in the living room and he hangs out with us all the time.

Any ideas and advice would be really appreciated xx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The lameness is most likely connected with his cystitis issues; it can happen due to the pain. I would recommend to have him x-rayed in case there is a small stone or sludge.

Fortheloveofpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks Wiebke. He doesnt seem to be in too much pain though (although yes in some)...not compared to how he has been in the past when hes had bladder issues. Its also come on over night...is that realistic? I dont know what to do for him anymore :( ...antibiotics are such a temporary solution and I dont want him to get resistant to them. We know that he does have some minimal sludge as he had an ultrasound 2.5 months ago but there was no sign of stones

Thanks

Fortheloveofpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So went to he vets this morning completely expecting a stone diagnosis :( Surprisingly and thankfully the vet thought it wasnt as as she tested his urine and it was totally clear of anything. She also felt his bladder and yes he was in discomfort but not the level of pain a stone would bring about. His urine was as clear as water and she said it may be that he is drinking loads to try and flush something a little toxic through - possibly something he has accidentally eaten or drunk. She said it is definitely why he is limping/not using his hind legs properly as the whole thing is very uncomfortable.

So we're on the Metacam again and ive been instructed to collect a urine sample and take it and him in again on Monday for checks. The vet is going to send the urine sample off for rigorous lab tests so I will let you all know the results.

For now though, thank the lord for no stones!

Status
Not open for further replies.