• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Off to the vet again

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiratePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Athena and I are going back to the vet today.

Since she had her bloat issue a while ago it's kind of like she never fully recovered. It seems to go away and come back and go away and come back.

On the upside though, she is eating and pooping as well as drinking and peeing, even when she is bloated.

I'm worried that she may be in pain. She spends a lot of her time curled up with the hairs on the back of her neck sticking up. She has also taken to chattering her teeth a lot and nibbling much harder than ever before (I wouldn't call it biting, but maybe some would?). She's never drawn blood on her own, but did end up tearing a hangnail of mine which hurt a lot and drew blood.

I'm actually getting a ride to the vet from my mother today (long annoying story) and I was explaining the situation to her and her thought was that it might be time to put her down.

I don't know how I feel about that. Especially since she is still eating and drinking of her own free will.

I just want her to feel better.

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck Athena! I'm sure the vet will think of something to make her more comfortable :)

Reaction score
Good luck at the vet! I think while she is still eating and interested in life now is not the time for her to be PTS, but only you know your piggie x

PiratePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The vet said that everything should be ok, Athena just has a build up of gas which is making her uncomfortable. He told me to give her some simethicone every day that she is bloated.

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can also give her 1ml of olive oil a day while she is bloated to help move the gas out.

With my boy 3 days of olive oil cured his problem and touchwood it hasnt come back

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Bloat would suggest
a) a reaction to certain veggies have you tried a veggie exclusion diet - withdraw all veggies for 7 days.....then feed only one veg for 3 days and see what happens...withdraw all veggies againvfor another 3 days....feed another veggie etc etc - to see what might trigger it?)
Corn, brassicas (broccoli caluflower kale cabbage), any prepacked veg that might be slightly unfresh (ie >48 hours old even if unopened)...can trigger bloat.

However also
b) bloat would suggest gut is not moving properly so alternatively you can try giving zantac for 5 days to "kick start" the gut. Sorts out funny/squishy poos, bloat, many digestive problems....but not many vets know about it for piggies.

If you want me to write a letter to your vet (referring them to mine) to get them to prescribe zantac then please let me know ...I will need to speak to you on the phone to get a clear history in order to word my letter correctly (assuming that zantac is the way to go)

HTH
x

Status
Not open for further replies.