• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Off To The Vets We Go - Possible Urinary Tract Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm taking my guinea pig, Walnut, into the Vets today to be checked for a urinary tract infection. She is almost 5 years old and keeps squealing whenever she pees or poops. I'm going to get an xray to see if she has any stones. Poor Old Gal. I hope she will be okay. She looks like she is in such pain.

006_zpsxrnxhrod.jpg

Best of luck for your poorly elderly girl!

awe thanks everyone... Walnut is home now. She had a stone in her urethra, but luckily it was far enough down that the Vet was able to take it out. Of course, Walnut had to be sedated. It crumbled when it came out but they xrayed her afterwards and no parts of it remained. So its gone. Thank goodness. Wally is now on a 10 day course of antibiotics and pain meds. Right now she is chowing down on fresh cut grass. She is a bit stoned but seems okay. I'm so glad I took her in. The stone was pretty big. It was maybe like the size of a pea. OUCH!

That is such fantastic news she has had such a good result...Well done!
Lucky Walnut - not only does she have a fantastic Slave - but she also has a a very competent cavy vet!
x

That is such fantastic news she has had such a good result...Well done!
Lucky Walnut - not only does she have a fantastic Slave - but she also has a a very competent cavy vet!
x

Oh thank you so much! Yes I feel very blessed to have such a good Vet :D

Hello mummy - this is Wallie speaking.
I'm so glad you had the courage of your convictions and took me to a very good vets.

The true hero in this is you mummy....because your saw the signs and took the appropriate action.
Thank you mummy
x

Since Walnut has come home I've noticed her breathing is really loud. Is this normal after being sedated? I'm going to call the Vets when they open. Otherwise, she seems okay. I gave her meds to her this morning. There is a bit of blood but the Vet said that would be normal due to the trauma her urethra had when they extracted the stone.
Here is another picture of her from last July.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1
I'm very worried about Walnut now. She is barely eating and still squeaking when she pees. There isn't any blood anymore but she is very hunched in the cage and doesn't seem to want to move. Her breathing is normal again so that is good. I'm taking her to the Vets in 20 minutes for a pain injection. I'm so terribly worried about her.

Has the vet done an Xray?
A stone in the urethra can be visibly felt and removed. But it may signify other tiny stones in either her kidney or ureter - and it maybe that this is why she is not so quick to recover.

I had a girl who had a large urethral stone removed but they did an Xray at the same time and found tiny seed stones in her kidneys.
For tonight I think it;s good you are getting her pain relief - and it might be that either tramadol or buprecare (in addition to metacam) will prove a more effective combination

You also need to find out why she is still in pain (and therefore possibly consider an Xray during office hours)

Good luck at the vets tonight.
x.

Yes she has had 4 xrays. First to find the original bladder stone that was in urethra and then after it was removed to make sure that they all were gone. It was the only one on the xray. I saw it myself. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back