• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Oh dear....mis sexed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We are fostering 2 guinea pigs for a friend. They are 2 girls. However, we've had them 3 weeks now and ive noticed today that Esme is trying to mount Fidget....could it be that Esme has been mis-sexed? Or is this natural behaviour if one female is perhaps in season?

Bearing in mind, i know nothing about where the guineas came from..I have just text my friend to ask her if Esme is DEFINATELY a girl!

My mind is on overdrive now, thinking "Ok, so there could be some babies on the way, OMG!"

I think the pigs have lived together for sort of 6 months at least...

Thanks all Emma

how old are they? as from a certain age, its obvious when males are males!

Provided that both are girls, one will be in season. But it is startling behaviour for the unwary!

You can find more about sow behaviour at the top of our behaviour section.

Hi all - thanks so much for the very speedy replies :)
At the moment we cant handle them as they are a little jumpy, so having a look at their private parts are a bit out of the question..hehe. However, my friend says that they are definately both girls, although I'm not sure how she absolutely knows - she didnt say shes actually looked and I do know that one of the girls belonged to someone else before her.
But what i do know is that theyve lived together for a while, so i suspect that they would have had sprogs by now!

Thanks again all - i had a look at the sexing link, very helpful

Hi all - thanks so much for the very speedy replies :)
At the moment we cant handle them as they are a little jumpy, so having a look at their private parts are a bit out of the question..hehe. However, my friend says that they are definately both girls, although I'm not sure how she absolutely knows - she didnt say shes actually looked and I do know that one of the girls belonged to someone else before her.
But what i do know is that theyve lived together for a while, so i suspect that they would have had sprogs by now!

Thanks again all - i had a look at the sexing link, very helpful

Girls will try to mount each other when one is in heat... my hubby always jokes that the only 'girl on girl action' in the house is from the guinea pigs! If they're more than six months old (you said they had been living together for six months or so) you would be able to tell if one was a boar... on an unneutered adult boar you can definitely see the 'boy parts' if you view them from behind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back