• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oh no! Not Rainbow too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudge and Rainbow :)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rainbow seems ill. :( She's sleepy and not eating veg. :( When I hold her she tries to get away so she's not too bad but if she turns out like Fudge, I don't know what I will do! 8... This is all my fault, I don't know what I've done! 8...

Could they of eaten something dodgy hun?
Your at the vets tomorrow, take both of them xx

I'm sure it's not your fault :( just monitor/keep and eye on her and if you think she's deteriorating take her along with Fudge tomorrow to the vets x

Oh no,what a worry.Please don't blame yourself,i'm sure it's nothing to do with you,could they have something contagious.Sending (((hugs)))

Could they of eaten something dodgy hun?
Your at the vets tomorrow, take both of them xx

They were on burgess excel blackcurrent and oregano. When I went to buy them it, the shop had run out so I just got the normal flavour. I know you have to change food gradually but because it was just a different flavour, I thought it would make no difference?! Maybe it's that. 8...

They also had leak last week, I put up a thread panicking because I thought it was bad for them once I had fed them, but was told it wasn't. Was it this? 8...

It may be a wee cold that they have, it will not be the food change so please do not worry yourself about that.

They were on burgess excel blackcurrent and oregano. When I went to buy them it, the shop had run out so I just got the normal flavour. I know you have to change food gradually but because it was just a different flavour, I thought it would make no difference?! Maybe it's that. 8...

They also had leak last week, I put up a thread panicking because I thought it was bad for them once I had fed them, but was told it wasn't. Was it this? 8...

I don't think the Excel would have affected them much, I have took the Oh god I have no food approach and changed it never had a problem.

If it was just a bit of leek I don't see it would have did much, not something I would recommend feeding but after a week it would truly be out their system.

Do you have the pigs outdoors or indoors?

I don't think the Excel would have affected them much, I have took the Oh god I have no food approach and changed it never had a problem.

If it was just a bit of leek I don't see it would have did much, not something I would recommend feeding but after a week it would truly be out their system.

Do you have the pigs outdoors or indoors?

They have been living in a hutch in the shed. Always have done but I'd been bringing them in on the cold nights. They are now permanently inside. Wont let them go back out until after winter.

Maybe it's just their age? :( They are coming up 6 very soon.

Pigs slow down, but I don't believe they go rapidly downhill like fudge has but thats just my opinion (when I seen the vet I asked about older pigs, and he said they slow down over time, as like you I was concerned iit maybe age related). I know I would want them checked out too be sure.

Do you weigh you them?

Pigs slow down, but I don't believe they go rapidly downhill like fudge has but thats just my opinion (when I seen the vet I asked about older pigs, and he said they slow down over time, as like you I was concerned iit maybe age related). I know I would want them checked out too be sure.

Do you weigh you them?

No I don't weigh them but at the last visit, the vet was thrilled with Fudge's weight and said it was tremendous. :)

It may be something to do with her cysts. :( She has 3 large cysts and has had them for about 3 years. Got them checked out straight away but because she wasn't in any pain, vet told us she was fine. A few months ago we went back to the vets as I was worried about the size of one. The vet took a sample and said it wasn't cancerous. Maybe one of her other 2 were and its spread. The vet said they couldn't be removed because of where they are and she'd probably not survive surgery because of her age. :(

Oh no,what a worry.Please don't blame yourself,i'm sure it's nothing to do with you,could they have something contagious.Sending (((hugs)))

I don't think it's contagious because my youngest guinea pig is perfectly fine, as cheeky as ever! :))

No I don't weigh them but at the last visit, the vet was thrilled with Fudge's weight and said it was tremendous. :)

It may be something to do with her cysts. :( She has 3 large cysts and has had them for about 3 years. Got them checked out straight away but because she wasn't in any pain, vet told us she was fine. A few months ago we went back to the vets as I was worried about the size of one. The vet took a sample and said it wasn't cancerous. Maybe one of her other 2 were and its spread. The vet said they couldn't be removed because of where they are and she'd probably not survive surgery because of her age. :(

Bette had a cyst and my vet also said it was fine, but that is my only experience with them.

When you weigh your pigs, its too look for weight loss. It sometimes gives an early indication of something being wrong. Bette was losing alot of weight before any other symptons thats how I knew something was wrong. I would recommend weighing them in future, I do mine fortnightly.

I wouldn't panic, just keep them warm and comfortable thats all you can do till morning. Then take them both to the vet your best to get them both checked out. xx

Bette had a cyst and my vet also said it was fine, but that is my only experience with them.

When you weigh your pigs, its too look for weight loss. It sometimes gives an early indication of something being wrong. Bette was losing alot of weight before any other symptons thats how I knew something was wrong. I would recommend weighing them in future, I do mine fortnightly.

I wouldn't panic, just keep them warm and comfortable thats all you can do till morning. Then take them both to the vet your best to get them both checked out. xx

Thanks for your help. :)

Definitely something amiss there, not an age issue. It could be that moving indoors has triggered an illness, it would typically be a respiratory infection, common with temperature changes. Don't take that as to mean you are to blame, I'm not saying that, you did right in bringing them in, I've no doubt about that. It happened with a pig I adopted a few years ago, he was outdoors at the rescue, moved straight indoors here, he developed a very minor respiratory infection which thankfully cleared up with treatment in a matter of days.

As Rainbow is not eating, have you got a syringe to feed with? It would be something I'd aim to start sooner, as they need the strength from food to help them past any illness. I can email you a factsheet if you need any advice on syringe feeding, I will stay online for another ten minutes just in case you do, but will then be offline until morning.

Definitely something amiss there, not an age issue. It could be that moving indoors has triggered an illness, it would typically be a respiratory infection, common with temperature changes. Don't take that as to mean you are to blame, I'm not saying that, you did right in bringing them in, I've no doubt about that. It happened with a pig I adopted a few years ago, he was outdoors at the rescue, moved straight indoors here, he developed a very minor respiratory infection which thankfully cleared up with treatment in a matter of days.

As Rainbow is not eating, have you got a syringe to feed with? It would be something I'd aim to start sooner, as they need the strength from food to help them past any illness. I can email you a factsheet if you need any advice on syringe feeding, I will stay online for another ten minutes just in case you do, but will then be offline until morning.

Yes please. I feel awful. 8...

Ok, send me an email at [email protected] and will get it sent off straight away.

I will keep my fingers crossed that she will make it until morning and the vet can get her on the right treatment plan. xx

Ok, sent. Will take myself off to bed now, but will be back online in the morning and will see how things are going. Good luck. xx

awww hon, i just caught up with this, I'm so sorry, please dont think its anything you have done, just keep loving your babies, and fingers crossed the vet can advise you as to what is going on.

Good luck through the night love, thinking of you and fudge & Rainbow, massive vibes being sent xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back