• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Older Guinea Pigs Or Babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda-pie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I wondered if anyone could help me make a decision! I would like 2 female guinea pigs & I found a rescue pair but they are 3.5 years old & long haired. I am wondering if their grooming and possible health needs (due to age?) could be a bit much for a first time guinea pig owner. I know of some baby guinea pigs who will be available soon but I'm aware of the issues of bonding, settling etc, too. Which do you think would be the best introduction to caring for guinea pigs? Thank you!

If your older girls are used to being handled and groomed, then I would go for them any time! They can teach you a lot better about all things piggydom than wiggly, skittish youngsters. Healthy guinea pigs live 5-7 years, so you have got a good 2-3 years still ahead. That is longer than I have had with some youngsters dying from sudden heart failure. I love all my older piggies because they have grown into their pigsonalities and truly appreciate the love and care you lavish on them!

Long-haired piggies are as high or low maintenance you make them, but the simple expedient on how long you keep their hair. You can cheat by keeping the area around the bum and the undercoat on the sides a lot shorter; that takes care of the worst of the matting and soiling. ;)

Thank you that's very helpful :) I know these guinea pigs have been really well handled & were sadly given up due to an allergy. They are very placid. Yes trimming would make it more manageable, I guess grooming is bonding time too. Thanks :)

All the best! What rescue are you using? Could you please give me the link? We are always desperate to find more good guinea pig rescues to recommend.

I agree with the older rescue piggies. So many out there needing homes :)

Thank you, I'm not sure how good they are but it's just the Adoption for Pets at Pets at Home (this particular branch only have rescue animals). Finding rescue piggies this area (Teesside & Cleveland) has been much harder than I expected!

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm not sure how good they are but it's just the Adoption for Pets at Pets at Home (this particular branch only have rescue animals). Finding rescue piggies this area (Teesside & Cleveland) has been much harder than I expected!

Not many good rescues in your area. North East Guinea Pig in South Shields rescue is the best and most experienced. Sadly, most middle aged and older piggies are being left although they still have so much to give, so if you can give them a happy home, that would be good.

They are a gorgeous pair! That was quick indeed! I hope that you are going to enjoy them.

We have got lots of information for new owners at the top of our various Care sections, but you are welcome to ask any questions you may have.

Thank you :) this site has been really useful, I have looked at lots on here, & I will definitely keep looking when I need advice :) Thanks!

Aww they are gorgeous. Well done for rescuing an older pair. I am sure they will give you lots of enjoyment. Rescue piggies are great. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back