• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Older, operated pig rejects younger

Guineamum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm hoping I can get some advice as I'm at my wits' end. My old guinea pig, George, has had a really bad run of health over the last year, complications with an abscess on his gland which then attracted fly strike about 6 weeks ago. We caught it in time but half his back had a large wound and he was very poorly. The vet had us keep him separate from his mate, Buzz, who is a large 'toddler' Abyssinian and as bonkers as can be. George is a staid American. I started putting them together for 5-10 mins at a time every day, but Buzz is such a rampant humper it couldn't be for long. Roll on 2 weeks and we have been making their time together longer until George starts chattering his teeth due to the rampant humping. Yesterday, they got into a serious fight where Buzz has lost a chunk of ear and George has teeth pincer marks on his cheeks and was mewing in pain when I picked him up. I have treated both their wounds. I am really concerned that George will not accept Buzz back now. George had a previous mate who died, and I wonder if his bond isn't as strong as Buzz's for that reason. Buzz is pining noticeably, even though they can see/hear/smell through the c&c cage.
So my question is: as George is 6 and seems happy on his own while being able to see/hear/smell Buzz, should we get another guinea pig for Buzz to be friends with? George isn't long for this world, but could be a couple of years. I have been told 3 boars doesn't work, but George would be separate.
Please help. Thanks in anticipation x

Sadly a medical separation can result in them not wanting to be back together and now a fight has occurred, they definitely can’t be put back together. I’m afraid it seems their bond is broken.

You are right in that three boars together will not work.
It is absolutely fine for you to find buzz a new friend. George can live next door as a neighbour to enable interaction through the bars so he doesn’t get lonely.
How old is buzz? The best way to find him a new friend is via dating at a rescue centre. A successful bond comes down to character compatibility so having a centre find a suitable friend for him means you only bring home a piggy buzz wants to be with. If you buy a piggy on spec then there is about a 50% chance it will fail and then you will have three single piggies.
If he is a teenager (4-14 months of age) then it is not an ideal time to be bonding him. A centre may have a suitable friend for him Though. You other option is to have him neutered, have his six week wait to become infertile and then find a sow for him.

Hello,
I'm hoping I can get some advice as I'm at my wits' end. My old guinea pig, George, has had a really bad run of health over the last year, complications with an abscess on his gland which then attracted fly strike about 6 weeks ago. We caught it in time but half his back had a large wound and he was very poorly. The vet had us keep him separate from his mate, Buzz, who is a large 'toddler' Abyssinian and as bonkers as can be. George is a staid American. I started putting them together for 5-10 mins at a time every day, but Buzz is such a rampant humper it couldn't be for long. Roll on 2 weeks and we have been making their time together longer until George starts chattering his teeth due to the rampant humping. Yesterday, they got into a serious fight where Buzz has lost a chunk of ear and George has teeth pincer marks on his cheeks and was mewing in pain when I picked him up. I have treated both their wounds. I am really concerned that George will not accept Buzz back now. George had a previous mate who died, and I wonder if his bond isn't as strong as Buzz's for that reason. Buzz is pining noticeably, even though they can see/hear/smell through the c&c cage.
So my question is: as George is 6 and seems happy on his own while being able to see/hear/smell Buzz, should we get another guinea pig for Buzz to be friends with? George isn't long for this world, but could be a couple of years. I have been told 3 boars doesn't work, but George would be separate.
Please help. Thanks in anticipation x

Hi!

If George isn't happy with a new/returned friend, then please keep him as a live-alongside companion with interaction through the bars for ongoing stimulation and get your new boy a friend. Since character compatibility is key for any successful bond, we strongly recommend to find a companion via rescue dating/meeting at the rescue on adoption so you come home with a new friend only if acceptance has happened and you have the rescue to fall back on in case you run into trouble. medical separations can sadly end in a fall-out, especially if the hierarchy is changed.

Rescue Locator
Bonds In Trouble
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Thank you very much. I will go back to the rescue centre I got Buzz from and see if I can arrange for him to date with another. I believe he's around 14 months old. We have capacity to keep George as an overlooking neighbour. Thanks again 😊

Back