• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Omg i can't believe he did this......

Piggiewheekwheek

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Right so I had the fright of my life just now...
I was changing my new piggies bed and I put them in a cat carrier so I could put them back in their cage.
I tipped it slowly on its end so I could get each one out and one of them was laid on his side and i thought he had his foot caught in the air slat in the side so I went to get it out (he didn't)and as I lifted his leg I noticed that he didn't move,and he was on his side so I gently nudged him,still he didn't move😳 my son panicked because we honestly thought he had DIED 😫
But after a few seconds which felt like minutes he jumped up as if nothing happened!
Do Guinea pigs play dead? Or could there be something wrong with him?
It scared me😪
I have never heard of this behaviour in Guinea pigs before lol.

Wow thats so interesting! I have never had a guinea play dead before. I have had one or two which sleep so soundly that I thought they were dead only to get the 'death stare' when I have woken them up!

They can play dead... it's an instinct in prey animals to get the predator to lose interest long enough for them to suddenly bolt up and escape. It's similar to the 'freeze and hope no one can see me' thing that nervous guinea pigs do a lot.

One of our hamsters played dead when we just got her... she went totally rigid and stuck her little tongue out between her lips, it was an Oscar-worthy performance.

My two new girls Posh and Ginger play dead sometimes, they are getting more confident after a week since we got them

They can play dead... it's an instinct in prey animals to get the predator to lose interest long enough for them to suddenly bolt up and escape. It's similar to the 'freeze and hope no one can see me' thing that nervous guinea pigs do a lot.

One of our hamsters played dead when we just got her... she went totally rigid and stuck her little tongue out between her lips, it was an Oscar-worthy performance.

I cannot believe that about the hamster..omg!

Back