• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

One of my piggies passed away- Should I get another one?

Haileyc143

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I had two guinea pigs, Bella and Blaire. They were a bonded pair. Unfortunately, little Blaire passed away yesterday after fighting an infection. I don’t want Bella to become lonely and depressed. When is the right time to get a new piggie?

I am sorry for your loss.
Bella will need some time to grieve and so will you, but she will likely to be ready for a new friend sometime within the next few weeks.

The guides below contain a lot of helpful information so do give them a read

Death, Dying, Terminal Illness and Grieving: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

The best way to find a suitable friend is to go to a rescue centre and have them help you via dating her with other sows until she finds one with whom she is compatible. If you were to buy a new piggy on spec from a pet shop for example, you would have no idea if they were to be compatible and therefore there is the risk of a failed bonding

Sorry to learn about your loss. I hope you find Bella a suitable buddy when the time is right .

Bella is a little over a year old

Hi!

I am ever so sorry for your loss!

Please read the very helpful guides in the first post in this thread - about what you can do for a bereaved piggy in the short and medium term and helpful information/support for your own grieving process.

It would be good if you found Bella another companion again but allow her to grieve herself for a few days. As long as she is eating and drinking, she will be fine for you to do your own research and get over the very worst of your own emotions. 1-4 weeks is generally the best time for a new companion - and at that young age, she will be happy for new company! You can consider both another sow or a de-sexed boar (if you come across one). Age and gender come well behind mutual liking and character compatibility.

You can find some very helpful information on how to best go about finding a new friend and introducing them to your own bereaved piggy, including links to recommended rescues via these guides here:
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (includes a chapter on bereaved piggies and a list of different companionship options as well as a link to recommended US rescues)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs (for when Bella comes out of deep mourning)

All the best!

Thank you for all of these resources. Bella seems to be doing okay. I have been giving her extra attention since and she is being super affectionate back. She cuddles, kisses, and talks all day long. She’s eating normal and playing still. The only difference is that she cries for me to pick her up if I’m in the room and not holding her.

Thank you for all of these resources. Bella seems to be doing okay. I have been giving her extra attention since and she is being super affectionate back. She cuddles, kisses, and talks all day long. She’s eating normal and playing still. The only difference is that she cries for me to pick her up if I’m in the room and not holding her.

I would recommend that you start doing your research re. rescues etc. in case there are waiting lists or pandemic restrictions in your area. There are unfortunately no good welfare standard rescues listed for your state. :(

If you adopt from elsewhere or the free-ads or get a pet shop piggy, please be aware of these common problems that can come with piggies from places without a mandatory quarantine and pregnancy watch: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

I would recommend that you start doing your research re. rescues etc. in case there are waiting lists or pandemic restrictions in your area. There are unfortunately no good welfare standard rescues listed for your state. :(

If you adopt from elsewhere or the free-ads or get a pet shop piggy, please be aware of these common problems that can come with piggies from places without a mandatory quarantine and pregnancy watch: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
I have been looking, and especially with the national pandemic, and me being high risk, it’s been difficult. I did find a three-month-old female piggie at a local pet store. They are taking her to the vet this week sometime, and if she gets a clean bill of health I will adopt her. I met her and she’s super cuddly and a chatterbox. Female guinea pigs get bought up super quickly in my area, and a lot of the areas around me are zone 4 for covid so it makes everything difficult.

I have been looking, and especially with the national pandemic, and me being high risk, it’s been difficult. I did find a three-month-old female piggie at a local pet store. They are taking her to the vet this week sometime, and if she gets a clean bill of health I will adopt her. I met her and she’s super cuddly and a chatterbox. Female guinea pigs get bought up super quickly in my area, and a lot of the areas around me are zone 4 for covid so it makes everything difficult.

All the best!

Please follow the step-by-step guidance in our bonding guide (link in my first post) and open a bonding support thread if you need help. This year, everything is extra difficult. But you are a very caring owner as Bella's reaction is showing.

All the best!

Please follow the step-by-step guidance in our bonding guide (link in my first post) and open a bonding support thread if you need help. This year, everything is extra difficult. But you are a very caring owner as Bella's reaction is showing.
Thank you very much, I definitely will

Back