• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

One of our ladies is "Hoot, Hooting" Causes?

Leafy Lou

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

I did see the Wiebke did indeed address this in a comment from a thread a while back. We are having Roz intermittently quietly whoot, whooting..can't get an appointment.but it had just been a couple of times the last 24 hours! I am probably worrying too much?

What is the background?
We decided to clip the fleeces to the correx, because Freya is a biter of correx. However Roz has made a series of tunnels through this...and meh...I know know it will be the poo dust that will be invading her delicate airways..meh time to fold the fleece again and, just let Freya chew..the chewing has been minimised..we let them out put all the toys and lots of pets..Freya doesn't like being picked up but sat in the lap for hours with a face massage!

@Siikibam..Roz was a PAH piggy. Her enclosure mate died of an URTI. a few months after we got her. Sorry if I am coming across as petty and panicky.

I think I am getting myself worried..sorry shielding is doing me in..I think Roz is ok now, not hoot hooting like earlier..apologies..but thank you @Siikibam I just get scared!

I think I am getting myself worried..sorry shielding is doing me in..I think Roz is ok now, not hoot hooting like earlier..apologies..but thank you @Siikibam I just get scared!

Hi!

Hooting is in most cases just from a slightly blocked nose. Unlike humans, guinea pigs can't use their mouth much for breathing so any obstruction will sound much more dramatic than it is especially as guinea pig airways are very small and tight. Hooting for a short time twice in a day is nothing to worry about. The offending particle will be in most cases be simply sneezed or breathed out again.

If you worry about a respiratory infection, please be aware that the common bacterial URI is usually only seen in piggies with a lowered immune system through stress, illness, bereavement or because it is not yet fully developed or in older piggies very frail when they are in close company to an already infected piggy (you will recognise that pet shops are combining several of the risk factors!). Fully healthy companions can fend off the bacteria on their own and don't usually catch it. I would really not worry after this time!
However, if you see any serious symptoms and a fast deterioration (loss of appetite, lethargy etc.) then you need to see a vet promptly as you are dealing with some of the rarer nasty respiratory illnesses/pneumonias.
The breathing noises associated with URI are crackly or raspy breathing from the throat or lung area as well as clicking in the lungs in the case of pneumonia.
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites

I hope that this helps you? Please take a deep breath!

Hi!

Hooting is in most cases just from a slightly blocked nose. Unlike humans, guinea pigs can't use their mouth much for breathing so any obstruction will sound much more dramatic than it is especially as guinea pig airways are very small and tight. Hooting for a short time twice in a day is nothing to worry about. The offending particle will be in most cases be simply sneezed or breathed out again.

If you worry about a respiratory infection, please be aware that the common bacterial URI is usually only seen in piggies with a lowered immune system through stress, illness, bereavement or because it is not yet fully developed or in older piggies very frail when they are in close company to an already infected piggy (you will recognise that pet shops are combining several of the risk factors!). Fully healthy companions can fend off the bacteria on their own and don't usually catch it. I would really not worry after this time!
However, if you see any serious symptoms and a fast deterioration (loss of appetite, lethargy etc.) then you need to see a vet promptly as you are dealing with some of the rarer nasty respiratory illnesses/pneumonias.
The breathing noises associated with URI are crackly or raspy breathing from the throat or lung area as well as clicking in the lungs in the case of pneumonia.
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites

I hope that this helps you? Please take a deep breath!
This is really reassuring to hear! One of my three piggies “hoots” or wheezes every once and awhile. Sometimes every other month, sometimes every other week. It’s always been on and off.

When I first got her from the pet store she had to be taken to the vet due to a URI. But that was one year ago! So I don’t think it’s a URI again. She has no other symptoms and the wheezing only lasts for 10 minutes or so and she sneezes it out. And it’s usually only at night.

She just makes me so worried sometimes!

Back