• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

One Thing That Surprised You

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggieHerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some of us have done research, some of us bought on a whim... What is the one thing that surprised you when you bought/adopted your Guinea Pig? You can add more than one surprise info that you've learned about your piggies....

I'll go first, the most surprising tidbit that I learned about Guinea Pigs!

1. They shed!

Some of us have done research, some of us bought on a whim... What is the one thing that surprised you when you bought/adopted your Guinea Pig? You can add more than one surprise info that you've learned about your piggies....

1. They shed!

Oh yes - they shed alright !

and, I still can't believe how much poop they produce

a pleasant surprise was the 1st time I saw one of my piggies popcorn

I read up on books for months, asked at local agricultural shows about piggies at the stands & afraid to say i even went to a local show to find out about them & asked loads of questions.
I however didn't read any pregnancy, breeding or showing info as i wanted 2 pet girls & that was it.:hug:

However i had to speed read the pregnancy & baby care sections in a bit of a hurry as - My biggest surprise was how easily & young baby girls get pregnant! 82 days after my 2 girls came home i had another making 3.... the most gigantic single hairy baby girl you have ever seen! :yikes:
the woman in the local paper (before the days of the internet & me knowing better) hadn't separated them & either brother or father had, had their wicked before i brought them home.

second surprise is how much they poop. :luv:

third how they get under your skin so you're totally smitten, taken over & besotted by them. :wub:

fourth how much they poop! :luv:

1. They shed!
LMAO! They certainly do! I can't believe the fur we get out of Sundae- and she is the one with the short hair! Somehow she has managed to out-shed both her long-haired cagemates!

I think my biggest surprise is how interactive and tuned into their environment and caregivers they are. Before my first pair of pigs, I had hedgehogs for 12 years. Hedgehogs don't interact or communicate like guinea pigs do. They are very solitary, and though they seemed to like me fine, they didn't try to engage me or get my attention in any way. I was very surprised that the pigs very quickly learned the routine, learned what to expect, and directly communicated their specific needs (it still blows my mind when they stand over by the water bottle and wheek as soon as I walk by when they are out of water. To do that, they have to realize that they are out of water, realize that I will fix that for them, know how to get my attention, and remember long enough to wait for me to walk past so they can alert me, and with an added bonus they stand to the side of the cage by the water bottle instead of the front of the cage where they mooch for treats. Extra bonus points for standing on hind feet for emphasis!)

Our biggest surprise is - How much they get under your skin... :love:

I didn't know they popcorned and I had these two baby guinea pigs popcorning like mental all over my bed and I was freaking out because I seriously thought they were having epileptic siezures.......it was horrible at the time, lol

I did a lot of research before getting the piggies but what surprised me was the complexity of their diet. The foods I read about turned out not to be healthy. It has taken me a while to get the diet right.

What fantastic personalities they have and again how besotted I have become about them. What surprised me was how independent my boars are of each other, I thought they would snuggle up together. No, we have to have two of everything or the squabbles start!

I did a lot of research before getting the piggies but what surprised me was the complexity of their diet. The foods I read about turned out not to be healthy. It has taken me a while to get the diet right.

It doesn't seem to matter how much research you do I reckon it always ends up being a nightmare trying to figure out a balanced diet which is healthy, reasonable to provide (ie preserves long enough to use up etc) and that the piggys will actually eat; you may end up with grand ideas about what you'll feed them and then they arrive and refuse point blank to eat what you gave them! Of course give them a couple of weeks and they'll change their mind just when you've settled into a routine!

Oh the poop and the hay battles never end! I find hay in the silliest of places....even once in my bra!
The complexity of their diet shocked me. We have a fridge filled with veg....and we live on pizza!
Lol!

What surprised me is how completely different their personalities are! Of course I wasn't expecting them to be the same, but I was surprised at how easily I can tell who is who just from the noises I hear!

1. How much they poo. It is incredible.
2. I knew that guinea pigs yawned but I didn't think it looked so funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back