• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ongoing bloat issues

Bonjourparis

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone
My guinea pig has a sensitive digestive system and after extensive testing, the vet cannot find a cause. So we have been living with the condition and have been managing it with a combination of diet (grain free pellets, fresh hay and no veg :no:), biolapis and zantac when it flares up.
We had a good few months but now she is quite bloaty again. After looking online, I see zantac is no longer available. So our vet prescribed emperid.
Normally on the zantac within 24 hours she will perk up and start eating on her own again. However this has not happened. Is it normal for emperid to take a bit longer to work? Or should we take her back and try to get some cisapride as well? Does this work on a different part of the gut than emperid?
Not sure if I'm being a bit impatient due to the normally fast results of zantac or if she needs a bit more help!
Thanks in advance

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
My guinea pig has a sensitive digestive system and after extensive testing, the vet cannot find a cause. So we have been living with the condition and have been managing it with a combination of diet (grain free pellets, fresh hay and no veg :no:), biolapis and zantac when it flares up.
We had a good few months but now she is quite bloaty again. After looking online, I see zantac is no longer available. So our vet prescribed emperid.
Normally on the zantac within 24 hours she will perk up and start eating on her own again. However this has not happened. Is it normal for emperid to take a bit longer to work? Or should we take her back and try to get some cisapride as well? Does this work on a different part of the gut than emperid?
Not sure if I'm being a bit impatient due to the normally fast results of zantac or if she needs a bit more help!
Thanks in advance
My Barry, who has a thickened lower bowel causing him off and on IBS-like symptoms like cramping and bloating flares is on long term metacam, emeprid and cisapride; with the cisapride stepping in for the zantac if that helps you for a discussion with your vet. Emeprid and metoclopramide are similar drugs; I have found emeprid better for piggies. That is about the best digestive drugs mix available for guinea pigs right now.

I can of course not comment on what is the underlying problem with your girl. Gut drugs for guinea pigs are unfortunately very thin on the ground.

Here is our care guide for digestive issues. The medical content has been proof-read and discussed with a very experienced guinea pig keeping exotics nurse. Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating